Forum Index  »  Ai's Chat Room  »  What is the correct way to write Ai's full name in english?
 Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 1 of 4     1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What is the correct way to write Ai's full name in english?

Author Message
Which is more correct?

Ai Otsuka  
61%
 
Otsuka Ai  
38%
 

Total Votes : 72
pon pon
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
クムリウタ クムリウタ
Joined: 16 Jul 2006 Posts: 1011 Location: Melbourne, Australia
I notice both forms are used in this forum, with Otsuka Ai being more favoured.

I think Ai Otsuka is more correct because this is how she consistently has her name in western writing on her albums, singles, DVDs, promotional material, etc and website. So this clearly indicates how she wants to describe hersef using the english alphabet.

It is true that Otsuka Ai is a direct positional translation of her Japanese name, but as translators know, you don't just unconditionally sequence translated word as they appear in another language, so this argument is weak.

I am aware in Japanese speech she refers to herself as Otsuka Ai, and if I were to meet her (I should be so lucky!) that is how I would address her too. But that is not what this thread is questioning. And no, I don't see a contradiction.

The way I see it, it comes down to respect for a person. If my friend's name is Rodney and he says to me "call me Rod", then Rod is what I call him. If Ai wants her name written as Ai Otsuka in the western form, then that is how others should write it too, if they want to be respectful of her wishes.
 
tsumetai.ame
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Planetarium Planetarium
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 706
I think it's just preference. I think "Otsuka Ai" sounds better, but maybe that is just because I am used to saying names like that. To me "Ai Otsuka" sounds odd, but it doesn't really matter since she notes herself as both. It is like how some people like to refer to her as "Ai" and others "Otsuka".
 
caffeinated
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
クムリウタ クムリウタ
Joined: 07 Feb 2006 Posts: 362 Location: Vancouver, CA.
o_O I think you sound a bit way to serious for such a small issue that's mostly based on personal opinions/likings, kind of scared me a bit reading it haha. I usually just call her Aichin. Avex publishes "Ai Otsuka" because they know westerners put first name first, they do so so that maybe westerners don't confuse "Otsuka" as her first name.

I'm used to saying "Otsuka Ai" so that's why when I type I use that as well. Sure that's the Japanese way but there's no need for me to convert mid-sentence into Japanese just for the order of the name. I don't think this has anything to do with how (much) we respect her.
 
pon pon
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
クムリウタ クムリウタ
Joined: 16 Jul 2006 Posts: 1011 Location: Melbourne, Australia
tsumetai.ame wrote:
...it doesn't really matter since she notes herself as both.
but only one way in western writing. that is what this thread is discussing.

caffeinated wrote:
o_O I think you sound a bit way to serious...
maybe i do. or would uncomfortably confronting be a better description...?

caffeinated wrote:
I usually just call her Aichin.
Aichin is fine. solves the problem and avoids a decision.

caffeinated wrote:
Avex publishes "Ai Otsuka" because they know westerners put first name first, they do so so that maybe westerners don't confuse "Otsuka" as her first name.
so, you don't think writing Otsuka Ai might add to the confusion?

caffeinated wrote:
I'm used to saying "Otsuka Ai" so that's why when I type I use that as well.
i can understand your preference for consistency. despite that, this discussion is an opportunity to reconsider your actions and not do something just because you have always done it that way before.

caffeinated wrote:
Sure that's the Japanese way but there's no need for me to convert mid-sentence into Japanese just for the order of the name.
by the "Japanese way" do you mean "Ai's way"? because i thought we had established the Japanese way is Otsuka Ai. you are talking about writing in english, arent you? this is what i think the meaning of your sentence is. (correct me if i am wrong):
"Sure that's Ai's way [writing Ai Otsuka] but there's no need for me to convert mid-sentence into Ai's way just for the order of her name."
 
weirdoll
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
甘えんぼ 甘えんぼ
Joined: 29 May 2005 Posts: 64
Otsuka is Ai's surname/family name and in Western countries we usually address the person's first name before their family name. (eg: Avril Lavigne, Lavigne being the family name). So the western writing is Ai Otsuka, with the family name behind.

But in Asian countries the surname is acknowledge first for politeness. In Japan, Ai's name is written as 大塚愛 ---> Otsuka Ai. The surname/family name is written first. But when she introduces herself, its interchangeable. Just that introducing yourself by with your surname infront is usually more polite and the norm, esp in Japan.

So i guess its jus the norm in different countries and cultures. Wink
so if its western context then it should be Ai Otsuka and in Asian Otsuka Ai.
 
RhNinjaXe
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
ネコに風船 ネコに風船
Joined: 22 May 2005 Posts: 566 Location: Love Punch World!
Ya,i agree.I think Otsuka Ai sounds more formal as it is the Asian Style by putting the Surname in the front.But i am used to calling her Ai Otsuka although i too think it sounds weird at times.Haha.I get used like this is because of the First Album"LOVE PUNCH" which put it as Ai Otsuka.
 
HilaryDuffFanboy
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:45 am Reply with quote
PEACH PEACH
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1975 Location: Melbourne, Australia
I guess strictly it should be Ai Otsuka because of the westernisation. But personally I always instinctively type and say Otsuka Ai because I'm too used to it, and I do think it sounds better.. Tongue
 
Genni_lna
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 6:32 am Reply with quote
SMILY SMILY
Joined: 29 Oct 2005 Posts: 402 Location: Spain
I think Ai Otsuka because I think it sounds better than Otsuka Ai. She has got a nice name.. I prefer hear it first Tongue
 
kawai-no
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Planetarium Planetarium
Joined: 11 Nov 2005 Posts: 655 Location: Finrando
Otsuka Ai -vs- Ai Otsuka? im used more to write her as Otsuka Ai
sometimes also as Ai Otsuka or as ai-chin ,
but when i speak to someone about Ai-chin. I note her always as Otsuka Ai.

is there really a correct answer?
becouse theres some much options. The one that caffeinated brought up.

Or then Ai-chin wants that people prefer him as a Ai Otsuka.

Or then weirdoll's point, and weirdoll's point is , where im going to stick and agree.
I think it's just a matter of taste but i got your point pon pon. ps. really good topic!!
 
Evil_tomba
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
上塩タン焼680円 上塩タン焼680円
Joined: 18 May 2005 Posts: 357 Location: Toronto, Canada
im used to saying ai and just leaving out her last name
otsuka seems so... weird say
(also, i say it like eyn XD, and not a-i)
 
Rokit
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
大好きだよ。 大好きだよ。
Joined: 08 Oct 2005 Posts: 217 Location: California
Hmn. I used "Ai Otsuka." Otsuka Ai sounds wierd. I think many people use "Ai Otsuka," only if you are really strict with your japanese you would use "Otsuka Ai."
 
and_etude
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
上塩タン焼680円 上塩タン焼680円
Joined: 24 Nov 2005 Posts: 287
Both are correct depending on what country. If she was a normal citizen and moving to the US or any western countries, she would go by "Ai Otsuka". If she was in Japan, China, Korea, or in any country using surname as first, then it would be "Otsuka Ai". Neither are wrong.
 
just_inhk
Posted: Sep 16, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
大好きだよ。 大好きだよ。
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 Posts: 227
if u read ur name in japanese, of course u read it as Otsuka Ai!~ But yea, her Cd's are Ai Otsuka which makes it look more western~ Maybe jp ppl like to put their name like that but say it differnet~ haha, i duno~
 
xx--SwTBny--xx
Posted: Sep 16, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
SMILY SMILY
Joined: 15 Apr 2006 Posts: 450 Location: NEWS World
i would say Ai Otsuka.because thats what they mostly do in english.they call you with your first name.but Otsuka Ai sounds better. Love
 
mystique
Posted: Sep 19, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
金魚花火 金魚花火
Joined: 17 Feb 2006 Posts: 152
I use Otsuka Ai because that's the way it's written in Japanese, and that's the way Utada Hikaru writes her name (though she uses Utada most often). Tongue But really, I don't think it really matters. She credits herself as Ai, after all!
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 1 of 4     1, 2, 3, 4  Next
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
The time now is Aug 21, 2019 1:25 am
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum