YUI’s “LIFE”

by spellcheck on December 4, 2005 · 25 comments · AddThis

YUI Title: LIFE
Release Date: 09/11/05
Label: Sony Records
Oricon Debut Rank: 11

Singer/songwriter YUI is back with her 3rd single “LIFE”, released on November 9, 2005. Unlike her 1st and 2nd singles, “feel my soul” and “Tomorrow’s way” (respectively), “LIFE” is an upbeat song with a slight country feel. In addition, this song was chosen as the ending theme song of the popular Japanese anime “Bleach”. YUI, who debuted in February, is now honing her acting skills for a new movie set to come out next year called “Taiyou no Uta” (English title: “A Song to the Sun”). For now, let’s look at “LIFE”!

1. LIFE

iPod iPod version (0 MB)

I’m little torn about this track. It has its high moments along with some equally boring moments. I like the chorus because it’s very dynamic and you’d be hard pressed to find something similar to it anywhere else. The “full” feeling it gives with the background vocals, guitars, drums, etc is rather pleasing to the ear. However, the introduction is a little too bland and country for my tastes. Overall, this song is very different from YUI’s previous two singles and the experiment that was this song worked out pretty well.

Rating: ★★★★½

2. crossroad

Like the title track, the introduction of this song is not necessarily creative. Once the song picks up a little, much improvement is made. YUI’s vocals are very sweet in this song. The arrangement of the instruments are very much consistent with her musical style. However, at times, this track lacks something special that makes it stand out. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an all right song, it’s just not very memorable.

Rating: ★★★★☆

3. Tomorrow’s way ~YUI Acoustic Version~

Continuing with the basic structure of a regular YUI single, the third track of this single is an acoustic version of YUI’s 2nd single, “Tomorrow’s way”. In this version, all of the shiny, wonderful elements of the song, such as the strings, the impressive arrangement, basically everything that defined this song, have been removed. What’s left is something that isn’t nearly as enjoyable or impressive. Compared to the acoustic version of “feel my soul” that came with the original version of this song, the arrangement of this one is much more boring.

Rating: ★★★½☆

This isn’t a horrible single. However, I think I’m starting to notice an undeniable pattern in all of YUI’s songs that, honestly, is getting a little tiring. I think this was meant to be a sort of experiment because it’s so different from her previous work, yet the irony of it is that it’s so much like everything else that she’s released that I think that she needs to try something new. I wouldn’t say that this is a particularly strong release. It’s simply lacking a gem.

Overall Rating: ★★★★☆

LIFE 01. LIFE
02. crossroad
03. Tomorrow’s way ~YUI Acoustic Version~
04. LIFE ~Instrumental~

Click here to buy the single!

1. YUI’s “Tomorrow’s way” Newcomer YUI debuted in February with the song “feel my soul” and made her comeback on June 22 with “Tomorrow’s way”. At the age of 18, she writes the words and music to all her songs. With her sweet and innocent voice, YUI sings about maturing in "Tomorrow's way". This single's cover features a picture of YUI looking out a window with her chin resting on a guitar. With rays of sunlight shining in through the windows behind her, it surely reflects the longing to grow up that is conveyed in lyrics of the title track. Let's look at "Tomorrow's......
  2. YUI – Good-bye days YUI is a Japanese pop artist who writes and plays the guitar to her own songs. She debuted in December of 2004 with the single "Its happy line" though it wasnt until her 4th single "LIFE", which was used for the ending theme for the popular anime bleach, that she became a popular household name.......
  3. Kaoru Amane’s Taiyou no Uta Kaoru Amane's single has created quite a huge hype within the Japanese audience. This beautifully constructed single broke many records and has brought the dorama 'Taiyou no Uta' to life.......
  4. ORANGE RANGE’s “Kizuna” ... On the cover a swing set is shown and the symbol of the band is drawn in the dirt. The picture is in black and white and gives it more of a nostalgic feel. The CD design and the back of the sleeve feature little doodles of stick men with parachutes being eaten by alligators and struck by lightning and a game of tic-tac-toe won by the O’s. No doubt about it, “Kizuna” is about friends and remembering the good times, so grab your warm and fuzzy childhood memories and let’s go! .........
  5. Nishino Kana – MAKE UP MAKE UP is Nishino Kana's 4th single. This single is a follow-up of her 3rd single Style., which was the 2nd ED of the popular anime series SOUL EATER.......

chai July 19, 2010 at 5:32 am

with become soundtrack for one of popular anime, this song the most popular in YUI song.. but if we know her further.. all of her song is wonderfull

chie June 2, 2009 at 2:48 am

i like to hear yui’s laughing
so sweet…….

chie June 2, 2009 at 2:46 am

maybe i can be yui’s number 1 fan

Yeun October 10, 2008 at 9:32 pm

if i were i guy, i’d make her my gf!

Ryan NEW ZEALAND October 10, 2008 at 5:00 pm

She cute she talented and sweet kawaiii voice… Dotn really care about her success.. all i wan is to make her my gf!!!!

jerber PHILIPPINES July 3, 2007 at 9:09 pm

Yoshioka Yui is her real name. ;-) well, so far i like “Feel my Soul”, “Tomorrow’s Way”, “Che.R.Ry”, and of course Bleach anime’s 5th OP and 5th ED, “Rolling Star” and “Life”. she rocks! ;-)

eugene April 27, 2007 at 11:27 pm

i must say she is a very talented song wirter and singer i fell in love in her songs when i first head them ^_^

chezka April 13, 2007 at 2:59 am

YUI rockz! I REALLY LOVE HER! she’s sooO cute and her voice is very sweet… i love u YUI ^_^

Anno'chan January 29, 2007 at 6:15 am

first time i saw her song at animex channel i tv..i like her song ‘ a song to the sun ‘. from that time i’m try to fine her cd album…bu t i cannot find it.hieee… i think she have a wonderful voice…i like her voice n song very much.. >_____________

Nikki UNITED STATES December 19, 2006 at 1:39 pm

lol shes like avril in asia version

Mae-lynn MALAYSIA December 16, 2006 at 9:26 pm

The first time I heard ‘LIFE’ I thought who the heck is this singer? Her voice is the sweetest I’ve ever heard!! Anyway, there’re rooms to be improved. Ganbateh YUI! Love you!!

Danica October 6, 2006 at 12:18 am

XD I love Yui-Life in Bleach ^^ It soooo matches!!

Dyesan July 30, 2006 at 6:01 am

What is her real name?

James July 11, 2006 at 11:04 am

YUI u rock…i love u … i will be going japan and if u are there can tell me where can i find u and does anyone noe where can i find her or wats her msn or num and full name

jeremy July 9, 2006 at 6:30 pm

i like yui’s Goodbye days…..coz it’s very dramatic and her voice is so sweet.i feel so refreshed just listening to this song.it captivates me, comforting and healing my bruises…

jonabs PHILIPPINES July 8, 2006 at 10:12 pm

i like her so much…

Riyu October3 June 10, 2006 at 9:03 am

I LOVE LOVE YUI and her music is so heavenly.I also a member of the YUI-lover forum and fansite.I like to invite the ppl who love YUI to the fansite if you have the time.

YUI ROCKS!

gilek PHILIPPINES May 26, 2006 at 10:56 pm

I love yui, She rocks You can join the 1st YUI-lover forum and fansite: yui-lover.cjb.net.
Love YUI forever.

spongebob April 18, 2006 at 8:44 pm

oh! men she’s my type, the most beautiful girl in the world who knows how to play guitar,
please some body tell me! what’s her real name? her complete name? please!

david renolayan April 9, 2006 at 8:01 am

yui your the best!!! LIFE i like it. hope to hear more

saitoch March 6, 2006 at 11:46 pm

her voice is soooooo sweet~ i like it!
with the acoustic, it is the most fantastic melody ive heard

eyn CANADA February 1, 2006 at 12:46 am

The more I listen to LIFE, the more I love about this song. The chorus is just so catchy and unique that it makes YUI’s music stands out in the J-Pop scene. I think I’m in love with her music now. So far all of her singles have been really awesome, but too bad her single sales isn’t too satisfying. This new artist definitely need more exposure in Japan.

To me, YUI is a very introvert person, judging from the way she act in some of the TV shows. However, the trailer of the movie certainly show us a different side of her, that is the funny, playful and sunny side. I really think YUI’s a very interesting and mysterious person.

YUI is only 18 right now, and I’m already amazed by the quality of the music she’s producing. I’m quite sure she’ll eventually gain huge popularity in Japan. I’m looking forward for that, as she totally deserve it.

tejung UNITED STATES January 29, 2006 at 3:53 am

YUI, undoubtfully, is a very talented music artist; with her debut at young age, she has already gained noteworthy experinces of performing.
on the other hand, i can not deny that her voice lacks the sense of emotion; what I seemed to hear from her was simply “words” without meanings.
Her newest single-”TOKYO” is on sale on 1.18.06

Rinoa December 29, 2005 at 6:00 pm

I’ve heard of Yui and I must say I’m impressed for a new artist. It’s such a pity she debutted only at #11 since I do think this single has a special kind of shine.

Leanne UNITED STATES December 17, 2005 at 5:55 pm

LIFE has to be my favorite of YUI’s singles. It’s more uplifting than her other ones and it’s the only song of hers I put on repeat (although the chorus of “feel my soul” is always stuck in my head.) “crossover” is definitely her best b-side yet, I think. I agree with you, her voice her is sweet indeed! I liked the b-side to her second single “Last Train” better than the title song, but the YUI acoustic version of Tomorrow’s way is really nice, I think. Her vocals stand out more, and the guitar sounds good.

Since she’s a newcomer, I don’t expect her to come out with something ‘wow’ or totally different just yet. I think right now she’s trying to find her own distinct sound, and I definitely have high hopes in her future as a musician. I’m not sure if I’m going to buy her debut album, I’ll probably sample it before hand while making my decision, as I have no doubt that some of the songs may drag on or sound the same. Nonetheless, I think she’s great.

Great article. Thanks. :)