YUI – Good-bye days

Release Date: June 14, 2006
Debut Ranking: #3
Language: Japanese
Package Weight: 100 g
Publisher: Sony Music Records
Other Information: Single

YUI is a Japanese pop artist who writes and plays the guitar to her own songs. She debuted in December of 2004 with the single “It’s happy line”, although it wasnt until her 4th single “LIFE“,which was used for the ending theme for the popular anime Bleach, that she became a household name. Although she is still fairly new to the J-Pop scene, her popularity seems to be rising and rising with every single she releases and it will only be a matter of time before she can reach the #1 spot on the Oricon charts.

Taiyou no Uta screencap 1Taiyou no Uta screencap 2

Her new single “Good-bye days” will be used as the theme song for the movie “Taiyou no Uta”, in which YUI plays the role of Kaoru Amane, the protagonist of the movie. Kaoru suffers from a disease called “Xeroderma pigmentosum” which causes her to be easily burned and scarred by sunlight. The only motivation that she has in her life is the passion to sing. Every night when the sun goes down she ventures outside with a guitar in her hands to share her music at a square in front of a train station. She returns to her home every night at 4:00am just before the sun rises. One day, while looking out her bedroom window, she spots a high school student surfing and from that point on she decides to watch him and his friends every morning before she goes to sleep. Soon enough she eventually meets with him.

Taiyou no Uta official site

1. Good-bye days

“Good-bye days” from the intro sounds as though it will be a comforting song, and that’s exactly what it is. The intro starts up with the gentle melody of YUI’s acoustic guitar. After that, YUI starts with the soft and slow lyrics of the the first verse, her calming voice really does sound brilliant and unique. My favorite part of the song would be the third verse: YUI really pushes her voice so much in this verse and it really sounds amazing. I just get chills when I hear this part of the song.

iPod iPod version (0 MB)

The PV is good, it shows you clips from the movie so it gives you a little chance to see some of her acting. A downside of the PV would be that her lip-syncing in some parts doesn’t match the words of the song. It’s not really noticeable, but if you do notice it can be a little annoying. But the song itself is an amazing piece of work, one of the best songs I’ve heard in a long time, and a real breath of fresh air to the J-Pop scene.

Rating: ★★★★★

2. Skyline

The next song on this single is “Skyline”. Its a little different than “Good-bye days” and it’s definitely more up-beat than the A-side. The song progresses with a fast and cheery beat ,which doesn’t suit her voice as well as her ballads do in my opinion, but she still does a wonderful job with this song. Her English could use a little bit of improvement, the line “I want to fly away” just sounds a little strange, but it doesn’t bring down the song or anything, it just sounds a little strange :P. All in all this song is pretty catchy and a good addition to this single.

Rating: ★★★★☆

3. It’s happy line

The thrid song in the single is called “It’s happy line”, this is a spiced up version of her debut single under the same name. I’ve always liked the original version and this version adds a little bit more of an edge to the original. It works pretty well as it adds some back-in vocals to mix the song up a little. The new version really does justice to the old and makes me like this song even more.

Rating: ★★★★☆

Conclusion
I really loved this single, all the songs are amazing and hugely enjoyable. Though I really wasnt satisfied with its debut spot in the oricon charts (I feel as though it really should have got a higher position than 3rd), but with the current Johnny’s situation, it really can’t be helped. But over the last couple of weeks its remained in the top five of the charts and doesn’t show any signs of moving just yet.

Overall Rating: ★★★★½

Good-bye days single cover

1. Good-bye days
  2. Skyline
  3. It’s happy line

Purchase this item: YesAsia US | YesAsia Global

1. YUI’s “LIFE” ... Unlike her 1st and 2nd singles, “feel my soul” and “Tomorrow’s way” (respectively), “LIFE” is an upbeat song with a slight country feel. In addition, this song was chosen as the ending theme song of the popular Japanese anime “Bleach”. .........
  2. YUI’s “Tomorrow’s way” Newcomer YUI debuted in February with the song “feel my soul” and made her comeback on June 22 with “Tomorrow’s way”. At the age of 18, she writes the words and music to all her songs. With her sweet and innocent voice, YUI sings about maturing in "Tomorrow's way". This single's cover features a picture of YUI looking out a window with her chin resting on a guitar. With rays of sunlight shining in through the windows behind her, it surely reflects the longing to grow up that is conveyed in lyrics of the title track. Let's look at "Tomorrow's......
  3. Aragaki Yui – Sora It was announced that Aragaki Yui would officially debut as a singer by releasing her first album, Sora. The album did well, selling over 100,000 copies and well into 2008.......
  4. GREEN/Days "GREEN/Days" is Ayu's 43rd single released to celebrate her anniversary.........
  5. GLAMOROUS SKY Yazawa Ai's masterpiece manga "NANA" has been gaining a lot of attention this year: first with its very own tribute album, a dedicated café, and now a movie starring Nakashima Mika herself as the rocker-chick Oosaki Nana. To play with the "realism" of the movie a single has been released entitled "GLAMOROUS SKY" under the psuedonym "NANA starring MIKA NAKASHIMA". Staying true to the style of Yazawa's character, the single contains four rock tracks, the title track being composed by the famous rocker HYDE himself.........

{ 1 trackback }

Good-bye days (ost. จาก タイヨウのうた) - ♥ Pongpan Suriyapat : 李速鹏
April 1, 2007 at 8:28 pm

Christinetwinee October 20, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Such a good movie! Love it, and love YUI. (:

Fajar H. August 8, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Nice article :)
I’ve just finished watching Taiyou No Uta. YUI’s songs is really something…

chai July 19, 2010 at 5:40 am

this is the song that introduce YUI to me.. that wonderfull song..

zicka MALAYSIA January 27, 2010 at 11:28 pm

anata wa kawaii na onna.hai!!! ganbatte ne.yoroshiku onegaishimasu.watashi wa nihon e iku nara,anata ni aitai desu.

Jess November 3, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Has anyone heard of yui’s song “how crazy”? thats one of the best songs ever!!!!

kiki-chan October 7, 2009 at 8:27 pm

i listen to Yui when I’m sad, on a rainy day, or cause i feel like it. she has such a soothing voice, it makes you feel good when your sad ^-^

jessica Spain UNITED STATES July 12, 2009 at 9:38 pm

I love YUI ’s calm voice it’s great to listen to on a road trip or on a rainy day.

Aegis March 28, 2009 at 12:58 am

I LIKE YUI SONG SO MUCH!!! I don”t have all YUI’s song but I have 6 of them….

nana November 25, 2008 at 4:57 am

I LOVE YUI VERRY MUCH

sharon August 20, 2008 at 8:32 am

i love each song YUI sings! it sound very nice^.^ i want her songs!!! but i dunno where to get it =.=

kiki-chan October 7, 2009 at 8:26 pm

you can get them on amazon

M PHILIPPINES May 27, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Her voice is like that of a young girl.

EjoY April 28, 2008 at 3:08 pm

YUI is a good artist.. i like this song “GOOD BYE DAYS and NAMIDAIRO” she soO cute… hehehe…

louise PHILIPPINES September 27, 2007 at 8:55 am

I love yui’s songs because i always watch animes like bleach her songs like rolling star, life are very good. and she has a very cute voice too. i knew her song good-bye days when i watched one time maybe last year that yui was a guest in their show and sang good-bye days. i hope that she will have new songs that i will like. and she’s my inspiration on her guitar chords.

Atikom THAILAND August 25, 2007 at 7:03 pm

i’ve known her for 2 yrs since her MV first showed in Thailand. I like all her songs and her singing style. Midnight sun is now showing in bangkok, later than other cities due to small number of japanese film supporters…. the film was good and made me love YUI more n’ more n’ more

will support you, YUI, always….. keep good and great work especially style

Jmie AUSTRALIA July 26, 2007 at 9:10 pm

ok, ok .. this is the very first time i hooked up with a japanese female singer .. at first all my favorites were male groups like kattun and arashi but while im watching bleach., ive heard the song rolling star by yui .. and it totally rocks my world! after that i’ve discovered other yui’s songs ., like goodbye days! oh my ive read the translation of this song and that was really uhhh’? fantastic! i love that song .. yui rulez!

dhuma INDONESIA July 7, 2007 at 4:18 am

hay!
is anybody have guitar tab for god bye days?
please send it to serena_nikolas@yahoo.co.id
thanx very much!!

charmaigne UNITED STATES June 22, 2007 at 1:21 pm

i love yui! she was introduced to me by my good friend who has a major crush on her. he has almost all of her songs, when i heard one i thought she’s good. when i watched taiyou no uta, i cried!!! then i learnt how to love her too. I have majority of her famous songs including bleach ost :D long live YUI!!!!

9h05tly June 19, 2007 at 10:47 am

lol there is no need for words when her music says everything…btw i saw this on my way down to the comment box

Anna // Jul 11, 2006 at 10:57 am

I’ve never been a big YUI fan. I think this single only accentuates her mediocrity. Good review, though.

well as to that you’re the only one who thinks that way here anna =.=
anyway she owns everyone else and i feel this song is one of the best i’ve ever heard!!!!

Pi THAILAND June 1, 2007 at 7:51 am

I saw her from NHK TV, she was so cute : )

jim UNITED STATES May 30, 2007 at 5:01 am

it’s not “I want to fly away”, it’s “I want to fly well”.

if anyone wants “skyline” or “it’s happy line” email me at jimothyREMOVETHIS@gmail.com

smileysmell May 26, 2007 at 4:45 pm

i’ve rewatched the movie like 3-4 times. nevertheless, i still cried out loud in the end. it’s really a great, touching story ;-)

YUI is so, talented. have a nice, great tone. so KAWAII. i, myself, amused at her guitar talent (maybe b’cause im still a beginer), writing great song lyrics….all i can say, i just simply love all her traits…..kind of her avid fan actually ^_^

ps-im hearing her latest single my generation. although it’s not as good as ‘life’, but i can rate it as ‘worth-of-hearing’…,

Nathan May 19, 2007 at 5:31 am

Kisa // May 15, 2007 at 4:39 am

I want the song “Its happy line” and “Skyline”.. Can you send me the song?? please!!

Great review by the way!!

I sooo love YUI!! ^_^

I have a email for you . Have you checked it?

Kisa May 15, 2007 at 4:39 am

Great review by the way!!

I sooo love YUI!! ^_^

Nathan CHINA May 12, 2007 at 9:09 am

I am a yui fan.
And after i saw the movie A SONG TO THE SUN,i love her more than ever!!
how can a girl be so lovely!!
At the beginning i listen her songs,i haven`t much feeling.I think she was only a girl with a quitar can writer some simple songs.
but after the “good-bye days”,i want to say she is so amazing!!!Not just sweet!!
Yes i love her!!

thank you!!

Kanity THAILAND April 30, 2007 at 8:52 am

sugoi!! ^o^ i like this drama… it makes me cry a lot..
but i love it.. and i am listeing her song now…Oh!! it is so great!
her voice is so cute!! kawaiine!
Gambattekudasaine! ^o^

Ishida Mitsunari April 23, 2007 at 8:19 am

Taiyo no uta the 1st movie that ever made cry T_T!
wonderfull!!!!! hehe

kai April 6, 2007 at 12:41 pm

YUI-sama still @ Oricon Daily Charts #1 for her 2nd album ‘Cant BUy My love’
really like her ‘highway chance’ and ‘umbrella’
gO YUI =]

hana_bi March 29, 2007 at 12:12 am

daisuki!
i like her song
she was inspire me
“i can change my life”

stranger+music lover March 20, 2007 at 5:08 am

i think YUI really has the talent to become an international hit ‘rolling star’ coz she has all the qualities it needs, now all she needs is that little boost!!! keep up the good music YUI!!!

btw. i absolutely adore acoustic music and her voice. >.

jenny MALAYSIA March 16, 2007 at 2:15 am

I am a fan of YUI, so i like her singing….and i just see finish the “Good-Bye days” PV i like…

btw she so lovely!!!:p

Yun for still-henny March 14, 2007 at 1:07 am

wow….Good-bye days!!!! absolutely great song!!!!

Yui sings it perfectly!!!! Awesome Yui ^-^

Baron von Richthofen March 12, 2007 at 8:48 am

My japanese aunt sent a DVD to me and all I couls say is …………wonderful movieand wonderful music. The actors are very talented. throughout the film i never felt this is all fiction.

Jeff UNITED STATES March 8, 2007 at 5:08 pm

I saw this film in Hong Kong with english subtitles… it was a wonderful film that lead me search for the artist. I would love to have the translated lyrics in english if anyon has them.

khwan February 15, 2007 at 8:32 am

she is great talent!!!

poopies NEW ZEALAND January 31, 2007 at 8:42 pm

does anyone hav the taiyou no uta english subs ?!?? i neeeed ittt.. !! :’(

Wilfrid SINGAPORE December 20, 2006 at 4:01 am

Finally “Taiyou no Uta” (or translated to “Midnight Sun”) has arrived in Singapore this December and I have chanced upon this wonderful site upon doing some Internet research on YUI. What a great site this is and I wish I have found it earlier. Good articles and references. Keep up the excellent work!

PS. Oh, YUI is great, isn’t she?

shishan PHILIPPINES November 9, 2006 at 8:15 am

I have to agree with you. I just finished rewatching the movie, and i can’t help but feel a bit nostalgic and shed a few tears especially in the ending where the powerful scenes are definitley found.

The song “Good Bye Days” is a good song. And fits the theme of the conclusion of the movie itself. The process of leaving and saying good bye. And what good it is to hear Yui’s fresh voice again in this heart warming movie. Yui’s angelic voice fits the song so well that I can’t wait to get a hold of the copy of this single.

The 3rd verse of the song has a very big impact and i think, too one of the best in the song. The PV was great and I love it especially how Yui’s acting is so simple, which makes her a great actress.

thereadyseries November 5, 2006 at 9:25 pm

The subs I watched had her singing “I want to fly WELL” …not away. I double checked the lyrics and it says well also. I was just wondering which is correct because it does sound like “away” but considering her accent it could be either.

mS.sUiCo PHILIPPINES November 2, 2006 at 12:27 am

I love YUI song’s and I already watching the TAIYOU NO UTA! it a sad but great Love story I cried in the whole ending… (>__

chie June 3, 2009 at 3:05 am

i already watching the taiyou no uta too….
sooo… sad……..

sanagi FRANCE October 22, 2006 at 2:32 pm

She’s so lovely !

K-Nina CANADA October 9, 2006 at 8:26 pm

Hi, I just saw Taiyo no uta, and it’s marvelously good!
I am just wondering if any of you know the first instrumental song that came out on the movie. It sounds like an old western song, but I may be wrong. Thx for the help :]

Cheers,
K-Nina

horizon180 July 28, 2006 at 6:25 am

This indeed is a very good single. I remember listening to it on the radio when it first started playing. Some reason, I thought it was slightly different from her usual stuff, ever so slightly…

They’re saying that YUI was born to play the part of Amane Kaouru, that’s how similar they are… and it really shows. YUI kept a diary during the filming of the movie, excerpts of that diary are in the making of the film documentary available on DVD now… she was so moved by the story and the character that she decided to credit herself for this song as YUI for Amane Kaouru.

This song is absolutely amazing, completely agree with the review and the rating for the song in it… I’d give 6/5 stars if I could ^^

Draco CANADA July 17, 2006 at 12:26 am

I’m a YUI fan myself, and it’s fun to watch her grow as an artist. You might be interested in the Taiyou no Uta dorama. The movie, which I’ve downloaded and have begun to watch seems quite nice, and the dorama which was had one episode released has Amane Kaoru played by Sawajiri Erika (of 1 litre of tears fame). Although I have yet to finish much of this, the story and casting seems promising.

HilaryDuffFanboy AUSTRALIA July 12, 2006 at 11:18 am

Great review! I love this single as well! I think it’s definitely one of the better singles of 2006.

I totally understand the feeling you get when she sings the “third verse” which I think is probably more of a “bridge”… But yes, she really uses and stretches that not-so-versatile voice during that bit of the song, and when you see it live, you really feel her singing it…

It’s Happy Line is one of my favourite YUI songs for some reason… It’s just a refreshing track to listen to and good to wave your head from side-to-side to…

One thing I really want to knock into YUI though, is to stop using too much engrish, or at least make sure it makes sense… I’d happily do it for her…

p.s. it’s so hard to post here without emoticons… =P

Aprilis CANADA July 11, 2006 at 10:54 pm

I don’t remember what the original version of ‘It’s happy line’ sounds like, but this version is pretty good! And I see what you mean about the English in ‘Skyline’. It sounds like she’s saying “I want to fried way”. I like the little animation they did for ‘Good-bye days’ PV, very cute!

YUI is one of those artists that I kind of follow through, but not really. So it’s certain nice to read an article about her latest single. Thank you for this great review!

Anna UNITED STATES July 11, 2006 at 10:57 am

Christie UNITED STATES July 11, 2006 at 7:31 am

Lovely article and the music is beautiful. Well done!

Zeo UNITED STATES July 11, 2006 at 4:53 am