Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/daisukidayo/blog/wp-content/plugins/paged-comments/paged-comments.php on line 31

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/daisukidayo/blog/wp-content/plugins/paged-comments/paged-comments.php:31) in /home/daisukidayo/blog/wp-content/plugins/ozh-who-sees-ads/wp_ozh_whoseesads.php on line 627

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/daisukidayo/blog/wp-content/plugins/paged-comments/paged-comments.php:31) in /home/daisukidayo/blog/wp-content/plugins/ozh-who-sees-ads/wp_ozh_whoseesads.php on line 628

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/daisukidayo/blog/wp-content/plugins/paged-comments/paged-comments.php:31) in /home/daisukidayo/blog/wp-content/themes/thesis/lib/functions/launch.php on line 93
BUMP OF CHICKEN

BUMP OF CHICKEN

by Celsius005 on October 21, 2006 · 91 comments · AddThis

BUMP OF CHICKEN
BUMP OF CHICKEN from their 'karma' photoshoot

BUMP OF CHICKEN is a J-Rock band from Sakura City, Chiba Prefecture, Japan that has caught the attention of many music fanatics ever since their unofficial debut in 1994. It wasn’t until the year 1999 when they released their first official single, [LAMP], under the label High Line Records. Prior to the release of that single in the same year, they released their first album, [FLAME VEIN], which contains original songs Fujiwara Motoo had composed upon the band’s return from college in 1998.

Be prepared to enter a multifaceted world of prevailing intricate lyricism.

Members

Birthdate: 10 August 1979
Birthplace: Sakura, Chiba Prefecture
Zodiac: Leo
Blood Type: A

Drummer

Biography

The four members share a strong bond of friendship that dates back to their early days in kindergarten. Even as young as they were at the time, they became inseparable friends who would one day share common goals and interests. This inseparability, however, could not last their entire school life from pre-school all the way up to junior high. As the four members entered the elementary level, Fujiwara alone went to a different school, thus separating himself from the other three. His attendance elsewhere did prevent them from seeing each other as often as they had, though he continued to remain close with Naoi Yoshifumi which would, as they soon discovered, call for a joyous reunion in junior high school.

When they entered the 7th grade at West Usui Junior High School, they indeed had a joyous reunion. It was at this time that Fujiwara, Masukawa, Naoi, and Masu developed an interest and deep passion for music, particularly for The Beatles. They were so inspired by this English rock group that Masu and Fujiwara both decided to start a band and inevitably create a new page in the history of rock. The band was founded during their 2nd year in junior high, and that marked the cornerstone of the rising band BUMP OF CHICKEN.

Once they had saved enough money to purchase instruments, BUMP OF CHICKEN began their unofficial career in rock music. Most of their songs starting out were covers for The Beatles’ songs which they performed at various music festivals and competitions. In 1996 Fujiwara began to write many original songs for the band, some of which includes “DANNY” and “Glass no Blues”. “DANNY” was written entirely in English and both songs were performed at later festivals and competitions such as 96TMF and Beat Rush 1996, where BUMP OF CHICKEN earned 1st place positions. Prior to their college graduation, they released their first CD on October 25th, 1998, “BUMP OF CHICKEN”, along with a demo tape that earned them a spot under High Line Records. The band was put under hiatus as they prepared for exams and graduation, and they would once again become active upon completion. They resumed later that same year.

'karma' promo image

They released the album [FLAME VEIN] on March 13th, 1999 and their 1st single [LAMP] on November 25th of that same year under High Line Records. On March 25th in 2000, BUMP OF CHICKEN released their 2nd album [THE LIVING DEAD]. Entering autumn that year, the band formed a new contract under Toy’s Factory and together released their 2nd single [diamond]. The 3rd single [tentai kansoku] was very popular and even made it into Oricon’s top ten list, therefore drawing much attention to them. Due a dramatic increase in the band’s popularity in Japan, Toy’s Factory re-released [THE LIVING DEAD] and [FLAME VEIN] in 2004. The latter contained an extra track and was thusly re-released under the name [FLAME VEIN +1]. So far BUMP OF CHICKEN has released 11 singles, 4 albums, videos, and a bonus album containing Fujiwara Motoo’s solo recordings for songs from Namco’s videogame, Tales of the Abyss. They have done live tours since 2000, the most recent being [BUMP OF CHICKEN 2006 Tour -run rabbit run-].

Fujiwara Motoo is very well known for his exquisite and complex lyrics. Deep meaning and a poetic flow can be seen in all of his songs, many of which are somewhat lengthy.

Review

supernova/karma
Cover of the double A-side [supernova/karma]
Title: supernova/karma
Artist: BUMP OF CHICKEN
Release date: 2005.11.23
Debut Ranking: #39
Peak Position: #2
Product Code: TFCC-89153
Label: Toy’s Factory

supernova

“supernova” is one of BUMP OF CHICKEN’s lengthier songs running nearly 6 minutes long. If you were to find one unique characteristic of Fujiwara’s songs, you would see that his lyrics don’t have a typical verse-chorus-verse pattern. Sure the melody repeats itself, but it’s the story behind the lyrics that shines brightly among other things. For those who aren’t inclined toward meaningful lyrics, I still highly recommend this song. “supernova” is a mellow song and is very soothing.

As I mentioned before, a great majority of their songs are lengthy and don’t have a refrain. The best way to approach the deep meaning found in their songs, including this one, is to think of it as a poem. In a much more poetic sense the songs become even more enjoyable than they would if you were only to pay attention to how it sounds rather than it’s entirety. I provided my own lyrics/translations for this song so the style can be seen visually. Fujiwara does an excellent job keeping the song focused on its central theme, which can be found in lines 7 and 8: “The truth is that we only know how important it is once it is already gone”. In lyrical terms everything in this song relates to this theme, much like how Edgar Allen Poe wrote his short stories to ensure that every word included would contribute to the overall feeling and atmosphere. I find “supernova” to be a rather poignant tune–an ode to memories.

Fujiwara’s vocals are well-suited for this song’s overall mood and theme and will surely calm your mind. I’m serious. Listen. Be content. Good, right? Right.

Rating: ★★★★★

karma

“karma” is the other A-side track, but did you know that there’s another version of this single? That’s right! In case you were wondering, it’s called [karma/supernova]. That’s right! It’s the same single but with the two songs in the reverse order. The cover features characters Luke and Asch from Tales of the Abyss, showing the videogame tie-in “karma” had. This song is used for the opening FMA of Tales of the Abyss and it’s really cool! The animation is choreographed with the song very well.

Noticeably different in pace from “supernova”, this song just flies by while leaving you with a refreshed sort of feeling. This song is roughly half the duration length of its partner, so I don’t suppose you’d believe me if I told you that this song has fairly long lyrics, long enough to tell a story of its own. Don’t believe me? Well you probably didn’t notice because you were too busy being blown away listening to this fast tune. Of course you were! It’s definitely the “excitement” of this single; however, it may be a bit too exciting for me. The song goes by so quickly that it’s pretty much disappointing once it’s over. Regardlessly, it’s a very worthwhile three-and-a-half minutes full of powerful impact, nice sound, and stimulation.

“karma” is a very fast tune, yet it is still written in the same, beautiful poetic style that Fujiwara is known for. This song’s karma is unified in more ways than one.

Rating: ★★★★★

Conclusion:
I would say that this band is perfect for me because, as you can tell by now, I’m absolutely crazy for long, complex, and meaningful lyrics. This is my first time going into the J-Rock genre and I must say that I am very glad to have a positively wonderful first experience in it. BUMP OF CHICKEN has made a lasting impact and impression on me, and I hope you all have learned a little bit about them, too. To tell you the truth, I enjoy listening to them much more than SMAP. It makes me happy to know that tastes for music can change once you develop a sort of connection. Fujiwara also released the solo album “Songs from Tales of the Abyss”, so there are plenty of nice things going on. This adds a bit more variety to their discography.

Do I feel connected to BUMP OF CHICKEN? You bet I do.

Overall Rating: ★★★★★

Both versions of supernova/karma

1. supernova/karma
  2. karma/supernova

Purchase this item: YesAsia US | YesAsia Global

Pages: 1 2

1. BUMP OF CHICKEN’s planetarium In the summer of 2005, BUMP OF CHICKEN released their 10th single [planetarium] which dazzled veteran fans and attracted many new ones. Just how astonishing is the band's performance this time around? Now we take a deep, long look at the night sky - in BOC-style.......
  2. Kimi Dake ni Kizuite Hoshii I suppose most of you guys never heard this band before, that’s why i am here to introduce them for you all. Why the band named doa? I guess doa came from the members name, Daiki, Ohta and Akihito.........
  3. OLIVIA – a little pain Indies princess, OLIVIA released her first single since her hiatus in 2004 titled 'a little pain'. After such a long hiatus, Olivia Lufkin returned back with an excellent single and managed to gain the attention of Japan again.......

{ 1 trackback }

Broken Dench’
November 4, 2007 at 9:11 pm

mrkuple February 28, 2011 at 8:20 am

Great to see your full bump of chicken description. I also have made my bump of chicken fan site, kindly see my,
bump of chicken fan site

Abigail November 5, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I am American and in college. I have a Japaenese friend who introduced me to Bump and I was listening to the song Tentai Kansoku and I do not understand the meaning of the song. I translated it to English but it does not make any sense. Can someone please help????

ELI JAPAN December 28, 2010 at 4:10 am

I found the page of the lyrics.
Maybe you can understand the meaning of the song “tentai kansoku”

Josh January 18, 2011 at 9:12 am
Josh January 19, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Woops, I messed up the formatting!
Anyway, here’s the link to a translation to Tentai Kansoku :

This has translations to newer songs:
This has translations to older songs

thomas sidney UNITED KINGDOM May 22, 2009 at 8:37 pm

BUMP! bands like this are few and far btween ! they rock! XD

N UNITED STATES April 2, 2009 at 6:08 pm

I love Bump of Chicken ^^ They’re on of my favorite J-Rock bands.

I heard about them through one of my friends who lives in Japan.

Unfortunately, they aren’t really popular in America (where I live).
If one of their songs were to be an opening/ending for an anime, then it probably would be more popular in America :(

I told my friends about them, they like them alot~!

-Sora- February 18, 2009 at 10:52 am

im a fan of them too!!! i wonder if its juz my taste~ but my fav song from them is Ginga Tetsudo(galaxy expressway) i sing it everyday lol…

Grace MALAYSIA January 19, 2009 at 4:02 am

BUMP is amazing! :)

But I think where lyrics are concerned, RADWIMPS conquers all. BUMP always makes me smile because they’re always so (seemingly) positive, but RADWIMPS tends to touch my heart and make me cry. It’s pretty darned amazing. o.O

Lina November 6, 2008 at 12:30 am

I think my first BUMP song was “Sailing Day” (consider the history of my J-addiction as a manga-anime lover), but it didn’t catch much of my attention back then. sou. ^^; ano… Maybe it’s because I was still a newbie in J-music sphere. I haven’t heard a lot of genres in J-music and I naturally followed the mainstream… wakarimasen desu~. O/Z

Enough with my boring intro…

Now I’m head over heels with them. Gosh, the last time I felt this ecstatic on my favorite band was long way back in my junior-high years, I guess. Friends who normally share similar interests on J-culture even got amazed that I’ve become to like them in the first place. “I don’t know why you like them,” one of them once said (after she gave me a glance of “Karma”’s PV).

It (re-)started when I heard “Namida no furusato” and played it regularly with my iTunes, back in early 2006 (maybe it was because I was homesick at that time, lol)… Then I tried to listen to “Flame Vein+1″ album and “Diamond” single, and found out that their “raw” sounds in those records were similar as my all-time favorite’s, The Beatles (especially from their rock ‘n roll period of late 60s)… I fell in love (literally) with Fujiwara-sama’s voice when I heard their cover (of The Pillows’), “Hybrid Rainbow”, and continue to love them ’till now…

Has anyone here listen to “Orbital Period”??? My favorites there are “voyager”, “Hammer Song to Itami no Tou”, and “kasabutabutabu” (besides their previous single releases included in it, of course)!! I’d appreciate it, if you’d like to review it here.

Now I’m obsessed with them, I start to think of ways to go to their concerts… I even wonder how to meet and talk to them in person… Freak.

eya MALAYSIA October 20, 2008 at 11:15 pm

just listening to them~~
love karma n sailing day~~

stephanie AUSTRALIA September 20, 2008 at 5:02 am

I am a filipina.. but this japanese band really caught my attention when i first heared their song “the present” and “snow smile”… thanks to my japanese student for sending me the link….. Love this band…. I look forward to watch their concert…

kira kira INDONESIA September 7, 2008 at 10:08 am

I love them!!!

Luke CANADA August 2, 2008 at 11:40 am

Hey I’m Luke Uhia Le I Just Wanted To Say Its Nice Having You Guys Along And Your Music Is Awesome In TOTA/Tales Of The Abyss Main Char: Luke Fon Fabre

Jake July 18, 2008 at 6:19 am

Hey guys i am Aussi and friend just got me into Bump shes Japanese, she’s been doings forigen exchange program for 3years or so, and last week on her birthdy she let me borrow a random Bump mix she made for me. So i listened to that now i’m hooked on Sailing Day!! I love it so much that i am aculary learning the Japanese lyrics!!!
And funny enough i just found that i share a birthday with Masukawa Hiroaki the guitarist!! And i play both drums and guitar, and i laughed when i found that his birthday is mine because i found it so awesome!!

BUMP OF CHICKEN!!!!

xin June 23, 2008 at 3:24 am

to arcadia:
hey, i found the laughmaker romaji lyric + translation @
try to search the site, probably there’s much more bumps lyrics

if you wanna search for their pic, try googling “excite” “bump of chicken”
I use to open it and bump usually have routine interview with the site, with very cool pic too! i’ll sent you one pic to your mail then. enjooy!

btw, does anyone already have the latest album? do they have the “bonus track” inside the album?

arcadia FRANCE June 22, 2008 at 6:19 pm

@xin : Sure ! I’d like to understand every songs of Bump. Please send it to me ^^ my mail must be somewhere in the comments.

@ai : the last new album was orbital period but they released a CD with the B tracks of the singles + one new song last week. The CD is “present from you”

There are not many Bump websites. I couldn’t find many pictures of them. Do you guys have websites ro recommend ?

xin INDONESIA June 19, 2008 at 11:18 am

to arcadia:
the only translation i have which is not from centigrade-j is “laughmaker”
founded in internet and it is rather a messed-up translation tho, but i can catch the point of the song and i think it’s quite a cute song.
if you want it just tell me. ;D

arcadia FRANCE June 1, 2008 at 3:12 pm

to xin :

thank you, it was precisely the website where I was reading the translation. I couldn’t find another website with the lyrics and translation of the other songs. Please let me know if you find lyrics and translation !

arcadia FRANCE June 1, 2008 at 3:11 pm

to xin :

thank you, it was precisely the website where I was reading the translation. I couldn’t find another website with the others

Ai May 28, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Mika, yes I’m japanese. :-)
You did?! I’ve never been to their concert so I wanna watch!!! :-P

Does BUMP sell new CD? I mean, when BUMP sell next CD…?
Last album was “orbital period”, right?
I don’t have CD player in Canada so I can’t buy and listen :-(

Mika, where are you from? You said “I went to BUMP concert in Niigata”.
Do you live in Niigata?

I wanna go their concert!

xin May 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm

to arcadia
if you want some of the translation i have it from the site centigrade-j.
i dont have all but if you need some which i have, i’ll give it to you.

arcadia FRANCE May 27, 2008 at 4:31 pm

I think I’ll go to Japan too. But I don’t know if I will go in September with a friend or in 2009. I’d like to visit during a warm and nice period, maybe in April or May, when the cherry tree blossom. I think I’ll make up my mind depending on Bump’s tour lol
Either way, I need to get free time (not easy with work and all) and I have to gather more money.

Mika, French is a hard language, right. If you’re still up to it, I believe there was a web radio with French simple vocabulary. I’ll try to get it. I don’t understand bump lyrics but I read English translations on the web. Too bad I can’t find them all.

xin May 27, 2008 at 11:05 am

to Mika
here’s my e-mail:
knghtmare4472744@yahoo.com

Mika May 27, 2008 at 8:29 am

Hello^^

>Ai
You are a Japanese ,right?
I bought a new DVD of BUMP.
It is so cool and funny.:)

>xin
Do you have e-mail?
If you know the romaji lyric, I will send you it !!

>arcadia
I cannnot listen to French well.
It is so hard for me~
Do you understand lyrics of BUMP?

Ai May 21, 2008 at 2:23 pm

Oh, you going to Tokyo? and you have japanese friend too? Cool! :-P
How long will you stay in Japan?
I’ve never visited Kansai… but I think Kansai is really cool place!

I’m from Aomori. Do you know that? It’s close to Hokkaido. My country is cold and small.
Kansaiben is sooooo cool! :-D I wanna study too! my friend is from Hyogo(Kansai). She lives in Canada too so I’ll meet her in this summer vacation. I’ll hear her Kansaiben! :-)Haha

I think about stranger who speaks Kansaiben, that’s sooo COOL! I don’t think it’s strange!
I can speak Tsugaruben(it’s Aomori’s dialect). My school’s English teacher is Irish and He can speak Tsugaruben little bit. :-) That’s cool! So you can speak Kansaiben a lot!
(and I don’t know “irrated” mean… I looked up my dictionary but I coudn’t find…{‘A`})

I hope you spend good time in Japan! :-P

Faye May 21, 2008 at 1:08 pm

oh yes I think Bump is known in several countries because there is a lot of people who like Japan in the world. And Bump makes good songs.=)

I am going to Tokyo in August, in a Japanese school, and then, in September I will visit my friends in Kansai(in Osaka and Kyoto) and in Hiroshima.

Ai where are you from?I would like to study Kansaiben too!!!XD
But what do you think about a stranger who speaks Kansaiben?is it strange?Are Japanese people irrated when strangers speak Japanese dialects?

thanks

Ai May 20, 2008 at 12:47 pm

hello!

Wow! BUMP is famous in the whole world, isn’t it?
And visual kei and anison are famous too! :-)
I often listen those. I think those are not famous in Japan…
Some people likes those.(like me!)

I knew Ayumi Hamasaki and Hikaru Utada are famous in US.
But I didn’t know they are famous in Europe! :-P

Faye, you going to go Japan!? COOL!
My friend sent e-mail “I went to BUMP concert in April!”.
Maybe BUMP is doing concert all over Japan tour.
But they dosen’t come small country. My country is small so…
Where will you go in Japan? I mean, Tokyo, Osaka…

I wanna go back to Japan! and I wanna go BUMP concert!!!!!!
But I’ll go back to Japan next January… :-(

Nizart October 2, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Maybe you’ll be amazed if I told you that I’m a Moroccan Bump Of Chicken fan, and I even got a band and we’re covering many of their songs here in Morocco ^^
So HELL YEAH, they’re famous all over the world !

Faye May 20, 2008 at 11:34 am

oops excuse me!I am very sorry: Sasha, not Sacha

Faye May 20, 2008 at 11:32 am

hello!
my name is Faye and I am French.I am deeply crazy about Bump of Chicken and I hope to see them soon.
I agree with Sacha, I study Japanese at the University, so all my friends love Japan, Japanese music, Japanese culture….but they hardly know about Bump of Chicken.They are very keen on visual kei and bands like Dir en grey, l’Arc en ciel, Gazette…..but that is all!!!!!!!It’s a pity!!!!
As far as I am concerned I like visual kei but I prefer Bump of Chicken.
I would like them to try to listen to Bump’s musics but there is nothing to do.=(

I am going to Japan in August and I would like to buy tickets for their concert but I don’t know where to ask…….can anybody help me?

thanks
and “vive bump of chicken”!^^

Sasha SWITZERLAND May 19, 2008 at 7:56 am

Hello!

Very few people know about BUMP OF CHICKEN in the US and Europe unfortunately…
As far as I know, their CD’s are not released in Western countries, so the only way to listen to them is to import their Japanese CD’s. ;_;

In the US and Europe, anison and Visual-Kei are the most popular type of songs! Few people know about bands like BUMP OF CHICKEN or Mr. Children for example, because they don’t make anime songs.

Indie Visual Kei bands are more known in Europe than SMAP! It is turned upside down.
And most of the people who listen to anison or V Kei don’t know it is minor genre in Japan!

I like BUMP too though, and wish they were more known in western countries too!

Even European artists that sing in Romanian (Dragostea Din Tei, koi no maiahhi) get released in Japan, why good Japanese artists like BUMP OF CHICKEN or Mr. Children, can’t get released in the West!

Even million sellers artists like Ayumi HAMASAKI or Hikaru UTADA’s CD’s (apart from her English album EXODUS) are not released in Western countries. Only some Visual Kei and anison…

Ai May 6, 2008 at 11:20 am

Hi!
I love BUMP so much!
They are GGENIUS!!

I’m japanese but I live in CANADA.
I’m exchange student.
So I really miss BUMP OF CHICKEN! :-(

Maybe Canadian people dosen’t know BUMP.
I hope that BUMP will be popular in CANADA! :-P

If you talk with me I’m soooo glad! :-)

xin May 3, 2008 at 9:32 pm

hey, neil and myka
after you guys both talking about the song “laughmaker” i begin to listen to that song and I really really like it. it become my everyday song!
i accidentally found the translation on the internet and i think it is a very interesting lyric.
for anyone who haven’t listen to “laughmaker” the song will be in the new album.
i wonder will they make a compilation of all their hillarious bonus track?? ^_^

Btw, does anyone have the romaji lyric of “laughmaker” and “bye bye sankyu”??
i like both songs but havent have the lyric yet.

arcadia FRANCE May 3, 2008 at 10:36 am

Not so much in France, though I found a few French people who are fond of it on the net.
France is getting more and more interested in J-music. L’arc en Ciel and X-japan will come soon in Paris and Kokia and Visual Kei bands have become quite popular. French J-music fans are especially Visual Kei fans. It’s uncommon but I dislike Visual … There’s also a growing community into j-dramas and obviously into Johnny’s.

That’s why I’d be glad to talk about Bump with any fan from all over the world.

Feel free to contact me at arcadia [at] hotmail.fr

Mika, if you need help with French, you can ask me.

Mika May 3, 2008 at 10:20 am

Hello!
New album will be sold soon.
I like B tracks songs!!!!
BUMP OF CHICKEN …is popular in France or America?

arcadia FRANCE April 28, 2008 at 10:39 am

I heard it was a compil of their B tracks with only one new song.

Eric April 28, 2008 at 5:14 am

correction: I’m an idiot – it’s Ajikan’s new album coming out on the 9th.

Eric April 28, 2008 at 5:11 am

hey there!

I’ve loved Bump since high school.
They were always played over the
PA system during cleaning, which
is where I first heard them.

Personally, I’m not such a big fan
of their “hit” songs; Lamp, Karma,
Only Lonely Glory, etc.

I much prefer songs like
乗車権、Sailing Day,and 彼女と星の椅子。

It’s always amazed me how little Americans
who like Japanese music know of Bump.
They’re pretty popular in JP, but maybe their
music isn’t different enough for people who
can’t speak 日本語 to appreciate.

Anyways, their new album is coming out May 9th,
so everyone can look forward to that!

Josh January 18, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hi Eric! Most Americans and Westerners in general usually are not aware of what music is popular in Japan. Usually they listen to music that was used in anime, or they listen to visual kei.

In western countries, there is more anime imported than TV series or movies, so there is much more exposure to Japanese music through anime.

For example, in Japan, Bump of Chicken got more popular after their music was used in the TV series 天体観測 (Tentai Kansoku). But Japanese TV dramas are usually bought up only by Asian countries. So J-POP hasn’t much spread to Western countries through TV dramas, like it did in Asia. Thanks to Japanese TV dramas exportation, Japanese music became big in many Asian countries.

Visual kei has a pretty big underground following, because it’s pretty different and the musicians have pretty crazy outfits and appearances, which crosses language barriers.
I think most Western people who listen to Japanese music don’t know artists like Bump of Chicken, Mr.Children, Southern All Stars, B’Z…

There’s also the fact that some visual kei bands have their CD’s released in promoted in the West (Dir en grey has American and European releases of their CD’s), but bigger and more mainstream artists aren’t usually picked up for release.

There’s no American release of any CD by Bump, or Mr.Children for example. But you can find releases of really obscure visual kei.

I don’t think it’s that Bump’s music isn’t different enough either, because a lot of people who played Tales of the Abyss (which used Bump’s Karma as the theme song) seem to like the theme song. However, in the American version of the game, they replaced Bump’s song, with a cover with no vocals. The localizers apparently think that leaving a song with Japanese lyrics in the American release of a game will turn off American gamers…

So, a certain percentage of the people who play Tales of the Abyss don’t know the theme song is by Bump of Chicken, and they don’t know that Fujiwara actually composed more than a dozen BGM’s for the game too!

A lot of American gamers actually think the BGM’s composed by Fujiwara for Tales of the Abyss are better than the ones composed by Motoi Sakuraba (who composes the music for most Tales of games), except they don’t know about him. If they did, I’m sure Bump would become more famous.