BUMP OF CHICKEN

by Celsius005 on October 21, 2006 · 91 comments · AddThis

BUMP OF CHICKEN
BUMP OF CHICKEN from their 'karma' photoshoot

BUMP OF CHICKEN is a J-Rock band from Sakura City, Chiba Prefecture, Japan that has caught the attention of many music fanatics ever since their unofficial debut in 1994. It wasn’t until the year 1999 when they released their first official single, [LAMP], under the label High Line Records. Prior to the release of that single in the same year, they released their first album, [FLAME VEIN], which contains original songs Fujiwara Motoo had composed upon the band’s return from college in 1998.

Be prepared to enter a multifaceted world of prevailing intricate lyricism.

Members

Birthdate: 10 August 1979
Birthplace: Sakura, Chiba Prefecture
Zodiac: Leo
Blood Type: A

Drummer

Biography

The four members share a strong bond of friendship that dates back to their early days in kindergarten. Even as young as they were at the time, they became inseparable friends who would one day share common goals and interests. This inseparability, however, could not last their entire school life from pre-school all the way up to junior high. As the four members entered the elementary level, Fujiwara alone went to a different school, thus separating himself from the other three. His attendance elsewhere did prevent them from seeing each other as often as they had, though he continued to remain close with Naoi Yoshifumi which would, as they soon discovered, call for a joyous reunion in junior high school.

When they entered the 7th grade at West Usui Junior High School, they indeed had a joyous reunion. It was at this time that Fujiwara, Masukawa, Naoi, and Masu developed an interest and deep passion for music, particularly for The Beatles. They were so inspired by this English rock group that Masu and Fujiwara both decided to start a band and inevitably create a new page in the history of rock. The band was founded during their 2nd year in junior high, and that marked the cornerstone of the rising band BUMP OF CHICKEN.

Once they had saved enough money to purchase instruments, BUMP OF CHICKEN began their unofficial career in rock music. Most of their songs starting out were covers for The Beatles’ songs which they performed at various music festivals and competitions. In 1996 Fujiwara began to write many original songs for the band, some of which includes “DANNY” and “Glass no Blues”. “DANNY” was written entirely in English and both songs were performed at later festivals and competitions such as 96TMF and Beat Rush 1996, where BUMP OF CHICKEN earned 1st place positions. Prior to their college graduation, they released their first CD on October 25th, 1998, “BUMP OF CHICKEN”, along with a demo tape that earned them a spot under High Line Records. The band was put under hiatus as they prepared for exams and graduation, and they would once again become active upon completion. They resumed later that same year.

'karma' promo image

They released the album [FLAME VEIN] on March 13th, 1999 and their 1st single [LAMP] on November 25th of that same year under High Line Records. On March 25th in 2000, BUMP OF CHICKEN released their 2nd album [THE LIVING DEAD]. Entering autumn that year, the band formed a new contract under Toy’s Factory and together released their 2nd single [diamond]. The 3rd single [tentai kansoku] was very popular and even made it into Oricon’s top ten list, therefore drawing much attention to them. Due a dramatic increase in the band’s popularity in Japan, Toy’s Factory re-released [THE LIVING DEAD] and [FLAME VEIN] in 2004. The latter contained an extra track and was thusly re-released under the name [FLAME VEIN +1]. So far BUMP OF CHICKEN has released 11 singles, 4 albums, videos, and a bonus album containing Fujiwara Motoo’s solo recordings for songs from Namco’s videogame, Tales of the Abyss. They have done live tours since 2000, the most recent being [BUMP OF CHICKEN 2006 Tour -run rabbit run-].

Fujiwara Motoo is very well known for his exquisite and complex lyrics. Deep meaning and a poetic flow can be seen in all of his songs, many of which are somewhat lengthy.

Review

supernova/karma
Cover of the double A-side [supernova/karma]
Title: supernova/karma
Artist: BUMP OF CHICKEN
Release date: 2005.11.23
Debut Ranking: #39
Peak Position: #2
Product Code: TFCC-89153
Label: Toy’s Factory

supernova

“supernova” is one of BUMP OF CHICKEN’s lengthier songs running nearly 6 minutes long. If you were to find one unique characteristic of Fujiwara’s songs, you would see that his lyrics don’t have a typical verse-chorus-verse pattern. Sure the melody repeats itself, but it’s the story behind the lyrics that shines brightly among other things. For those who aren’t inclined toward meaningful lyrics, I still highly recommend this song. “supernova” is a mellow song and is very soothing.

As I mentioned before, a great majority of their songs are lengthy and don’t have a refrain. The best way to approach the deep meaning found in their songs, including this one, is to think of it as a poem. In a much more poetic sense the songs become even more enjoyable than they would if you were only to pay attention to how it sounds rather than it’s entirety. I provided my own lyrics/translations for this song so the style can be seen visually. Fujiwara does an excellent job keeping the song focused on its central theme, which can be found in lines 7 and 8: “The truth is that we only know how important it is once it is already gone”. In lyrical terms everything in this song relates to this theme, much like how Edgar Allen Poe wrote his short stories to ensure that every word included would contribute to the overall feeling and atmosphere. I find “supernova” to be a rather poignant tune–an ode to memories.

Fujiwara’s vocals are well-suited for this song’s overall mood and theme and will surely calm your mind. I’m serious. Listen. Be content. Good, right? Right.

Rating: ★★★★★

karma

“karma” is the other A-side track, but did you know that there’s another version of this single? That’s right! In case you were wondering, it’s called [karma/supernova]. That’s right! It’s the same single but with the two songs in the reverse order. The cover features characters Luke and Asch from Tales of the Abyss, showing the videogame tie-in “karma” had. This song is used for the opening FMA of Tales of the Abyss and it’s really cool! The animation is choreographed with the song very well.

Noticeably different in pace from “supernova”, this song just flies by while leaving you with a refreshed sort of feeling. This song is roughly half the duration length of its partner, so I don’t suppose you’d believe me if I told you that this song has fairly long lyrics, long enough to tell a story of its own. Don’t believe me? Well you probably didn’t notice because you were too busy being blown away listening to this fast tune. Of course you were! It’s definitely the “excitement” of this single; however, it may be a bit too exciting for me. The song goes by so quickly that it’s pretty much disappointing once it’s over. Regardlessly, it’s a very worthwhile three-and-a-half minutes full of powerful impact, nice sound, and stimulation.

“karma” is a very fast tune, yet it is still written in the same, beautiful poetic style that Fujiwara is known for. This song’s karma is unified in more ways than one.

Rating: ★★★★★

Conclusion:
I would say that this band is perfect for me because, as you can tell by now, I’m absolutely crazy for long, complex, and meaningful lyrics. This is my first time going into the J-Rock genre and I must say that I am very glad to have a positively wonderful first experience in it. BUMP OF CHICKEN has made a lasting impact and impression on me, and I hope you all have learned a little bit about them, too. To tell you the truth, I enjoy listening to them much more than SMAP. It makes me happy to know that tastes for music can change once you develop a sort of connection. Fujiwara also released the solo album “Songs from Tales of the Abyss”, so there are plenty of nice things going on. This adds a bit more variety to their discography.

Do I feel connected to BUMP OF CHICKEN? You bet I do.

Overall Rating: ★★★★★

Both versions of supernova/karma

1. supernova/karma
  2. karma/supernova

Purchase this item: YesAsia US | YesAsia Global

Pages: 1 2

1. BUMP OF CHICKEN’s planetarium In the summer of 2005, BUMP OF CHICKEN released their 10th single [planetarium] which dazzled veteran fans and attracted many new ones. Just how astonishing is the band's performance this time around? Now we take a deep, long look at the night sky - in BOC-style.......
  2. Kimi Dake ni Kizuite Hoshii I suppose most of you guys never heard this band before, that’s why i am here to introduce them for you all. Why the band named doa? I guess doa came from the members name, Daiki, Ohta and Akihito.........
  3. OLIVIA – a little pain Indies princess, OLIVIA released her first single since her hiatus in 2004 titled 'a little pain'. After such a long hiatus, Olivia Lufkin returned back with an excellent single and managed to gain the attention of Japan again.......

{ 1 trackback }

Broken Dench’
November 4, 2007 at 9:11 pm

Mika April 26, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Hello!
I am Japanese,too.
I love BUMP!!!!!
I am so happy to find this site.

I went to their concert in Niigata.
I was so moved.

I am studying English.
And,recently I began to study French.

Let`s talk about BUMP OF CHICKEN!

nica April 26, 2008 at 8:36 am

I’m starting to love this band. Cool lyrics. sugoi! astig!

Nanis April 14, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Yeah, the same here.
I would like to know when is their next live concert will be held. i’ll definitely fly there directly to watch it…hehe. Ii cant keep up with their official website due to my poor japanese. so anyone who could help me here pls contact me (yuka-chan , onegai shimasu ^^…..or maybe nichan ^^….) at :
shal_nice@yahoo.com

arcadia FRANCE April 14, 2008 at 10:10 am

Actually, I’m looking for people who read or listen to BOC news. I’d like to keep informed on their activities. So maybe Yuka or Faye, maybe you can help me.

arcadia FRANCE April 13, 2008 at 6:32 pm

According to lastfm, their tour in Japan is in May. I’d like to go to Japan in October too. I hope I will be able to see them live. Bump is my favorite band !
Faye, can you speak fluenty in Japanese and French ?

faye FRANCE April 5, 2008 at 10:40 pm

I’m French and I’m totally and deeply crazy about Bump of Chicken’s songs!In August I’ll will go to Tokyo in a French school for one month and I would like to go to one of their concert.Do you know if there is a concert of BOC in Tokyo in August 2008?

Victor March 24, 2008 at 10:55 am

I love this band! I can’t stop listening to them, not after i first heard karma…..Oh, by the way, Yuka, it’d be great if you could help me as well! Either, send me an email to theworldendswithyou@hotmail.com or add me as a contact in the msn, but with this other adress moonlight-forest@hotmail.com. Tonikaku, thanks a lot!

pedz AUSTRALIA March 16, 2008 at 9:31 am

“My English is not so good, but maybe I can answer your questions about their music or lylics.please ask me”
-Yuka

Hi Yuka-san!
its very nice of you to be open on questions about the lyrics, may i have your email? or website? there are a lot of things i want to learn about nihongo and the japanese culture.

please reply to my e-mail : pedzreynaldo@yahoo.com

thank you very much!
maraming salamat!
domo arigatou! ;)

Yuka JAPAN March 12, 2008 at 8:19 am

I’m Japanese. I really love BOC for long time!!!
Last week I went to their concert in Osaka. It was great!!

Victoria CANADA February 1, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Have you related to the lyrics at all or thought of them as being Motoo talking about himself?

Jikuto UNITED KINGDOM January 22, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Man, these songs are great. I love Bump of Chicken all of a sudden. Their name alone begets greatness.

I also have completed Tales of the Abyss. It’s well worth playing. This song is the perfect compliment to its intro sequence.

haseo AUSTRALIA January 4, 2008 at 2:28 pm

i’m a filipino and i love BoC… they got original music unlike other bands here in our country.. makes me kinda envious to japanese.. BoC’s beat of music is just great.. they must love em very much.. the current state of music taste in our country right now is just lame… a lot of posers and EMO is very much “in” in our country and i personally hate it.. love their song karma, syarin no uta, sailing day, star gazing , melody flag etc..

Myka January 2, 2008 at 1:15 am

I heard of it O_O thats one of my top favourite songs! Fujiwara’s voice in it gives me goosebumps. Its soooo …. so cool that I cannot describe. Everyone, who didnt hear it, should listen to it. Check out crunchyroll.com, you will find a live performance of this song there.

Neil CANADA December 26, 2007 at 8:26 pm

How come no one has heard of their song laughmaker? Its kind of disappointing. There are like no amvs of it on youtube….

Myka December 3, 2007 at 11:30 am

I fell in love with BoC music… They music is the best and the vocalist has a beautiful, touching voice. I cant go to bed until I heard at least one of their songs. I’m desperate to find a translation for Ginga Tetsudou. I love this song and I’m so curious to find out, what it’s about… Can anyone help me?
Wish I could go someday one of their concerts…

akatsukiyondaime2 CANADA October 26, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Well BOC inspired me to play guitar and it is my dream to play as well as fujiwara! If u get a chance look up one of their songs laughmaker. its sad…i think

nichan June 12, 2007 at 5:00 am

you know guys i really love bump of chicken i have a lots of updates to them because my couzin is in japan and she introduced boc to me and i was very lucky to hear their songs tey are really nice specially sharin no uta,supernove,tentai kansoku,arue,guild,only lonely glory,firesign,k,karma,lamp,glass no blues,namida no fufusato,lostman,snowsmile and etc. i was so glad that i found that their are also filipino guys who like bump of chicken you rock guys!!!!!!!!!!

ruri May 13, 2007 at 1:27 pm

i became a BoC fan when i played tales of the abyss. karma became an instant favorite when i watched the opening sequence. after that, i listened to their songs and i got hooked. some of my favorites are karma, supernova, sailing day, makka na sora wo mita darouka, namida no furusato and arue. the lyrics of the songs are really great too. it’s amazing how karma perfectly describes ToA. bump of chicken is definetely one of the best j-rock bands out thereÜÜ

emptydb May 2, 2007 at 6:44 pm

Ginga Tetsudou, love this song too.

Densha no mado wa gatagata naku ikita machi wo toozakeru
Miokuru hito mo inakatta boku no ikita machi wo toozakeru

Shitte iru keshiki to shira nai keshiki ga
Boku wo damasu you ni itsu no ma ni ka irekawaru

Boku no karada wa tomatta mama de jisoku ni-hyakkiro wo koeteiru
Kangaeru hodo ni okashi na hanashi da boku wa tomatta mama na no ni

Konna ni okashi na koto damaccha irare nai
Sou omotte ma mo naku hitori dattatte omoidasu

Daremo ga sorezore no KIPPU wo katte kita no darou
Ima made no monogatari wo kaban ni dumete kita no darou

RIBON tsuki no kuma ga korogatte kuru mayotta kedo hirotteyaru
Douji ni onnanoko ga kake yotte kuru boku wo mite oji kiduku

Koukai shita boku kara kuma wo ubau to rei mo iwazu nigeteiku
Mou ii ya ne yo ukana SHIITO wo taosu ushiro kara shita uchi ga kikoeru

Kikoe nai furi wo shiteta motarekakatte
Me wo tojite mita kedo ki ni naru kara nemure nai

Daremo ga sorezore no KIPPU wo katte kita no darou
Nimotsu no okibasho wo hisshi de mamotte kita no darou

Hito wa towari wo toru tabi owari ni chikaduite iku
Ugoite inai you ni miete mo tashikani susunde iru

Jitensha wo koi de te wo furu hito miokuri tai hito ga iru no darou
Aite wo omou nara yameteyare yo chotto hazukashi sugiru darou

Boku no karada wa tomatta mama de ano jitensha wo toozakeru
Hontou wa totemo urayama shikatta boku wa tomatta mama dakara

Yakuni wa tate naishi jama hashi chaushi
Me wo tojite mita kedo tsuraku narukara me wo aketa

Makka na KYANDI ga sashi dasareteiru odoroitakedo moratte miru
Waratta onnanoko ga seki ni modoru dare nimo shirarezu boku ga naku

Densha no mado wa gatagata naku ikiru machi wo chikadukeru
Demukaeru hito mo ina ide arou boku no ikiru machi wo chikadukeru

Daremo ga sorezore no KIPPU wo katte kita n odarou
Ima made no monogatari wo kaban ni dumete kita no darou
Nimotsu no okibasho wo hisshi de mamotte kita no darou
Korekara no monogatari wo yume ni mite kita no darou

Hito wa towari wo toru tabi hajimari kara hanarete iku
Ugoite inai you ni omoete ita boku datte susunde iru

Nanis May 2, 2007 at 12:30 pm

hi all
i just became BOC fan a few hours ago though..
but have u all heard their song called Melody Flag ? It’s totally awesome..
It was this song that inflict me to search further about this band. My friend gave me that song…the lyric was so amazing, i became curious about this band….and start searching all their songs in Youtube…
And they great after all !!! yaaayyy…anyone who has translated lyrics pls share with me….

Hiroshito May 2, 2007 at 11:56 am

Oh man… this band has gotta be, and will be my favourite band of all time !!
Among my favourites has gotta be “Sailing Day” and “Karma” but I could rightly say BUMP of CHICKEN has a song for ANY given moment or situation…

I’m living away from home right now so songs like “Namida no Furusato” and “Sharin no Uta” are always in mind…

“K” is just so… sad T_T
This song inspired a character in a fictional animated scenario I wrote a while ago.

“Guild” is also genuinely… beautiful. The lyrics, the tune, the melody, the story… I can relate to the situation I’m in RIGHT now.

Well… there’s too much to say about this awesome group… BUMP of CHICKEN absolutely OWNS every other group out there !! well… just about most of them anyway ^^;

flyhorse April 29, 2007 at 7:19 pm

namida no furusato translation in the youtube video!!!

Masayuki April 24, 2007 at 12:16 pm

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

i’m japanese LOVING Bump Of Chiken.

i’m glad to loved BOC in overseas

Michael CANADA April 17, 2007 at 8:35 pm

Kick ass band, kick ass performance for Tales of the Abyss. xD

emptydb April 17, 2007 at 2:51 am

I love Sharin No Uta and Supernova and Arue!!!
Love their music! Fujiwara Motoo is sooo talented and the rest of the BOC band members!

najibukun April 16, 2007 at 11:31 pm

i love bump of chicken too. have you guys heard makka no sora o mita darouka? that one is lovely as well. but then again, all of their songs are :)

Pam UNITED STATES March 28, 2007 at 5:15 pm

I love them so much too. Sharin no uta and sailing day are great. I downloaded all of their albums. I want to buy their cds too. Hopefully i’ll pick some up at book off or kinokuniya.

laben8 March 24, 2007 at 9:41 am

Hello everyone,

Found these lyrics of Namida No Furusato on a blog.
This is the link to the blog for reference.

涙のふるさと  BUMP OF CHICKEN

君の涙のふるさとから 乾ききった世界まで
僕を知ってほしくて 君に知ってほしくて
きたんだよ きたんだよ

笑わないでね 彼もずっと待ってるよ
忘れないでね 帰る場所があることを

JAS UNITED STATES March 24, 2007 at 8:29 am

one of the favorite band …
they make great songs. I love them.

Celsius005 UNITED STATES March 23, 2007 at 7:14 pm

Thanks for your sincere replies everyone!

Hello Aud, you can find kanji and hiragana for “karma” on page 2 of this article.

Aud CANADA March 17, 2007 at 3:06 pm

Man, does anyone have the KANJI/HIRAGANA lyrics for Karma??

Xin INDONESIA March 16, 2007 at 10:30 pm

i accidently find this site from google when i search for Bump of Chicken using google. i just thought that i should leave comment here.
i’m into BoC laTely, tho i’ve heard and like “sailing day” from few years ago.
just wanna say, BOC’S GREAT!! AWESOME!!
the lyrics are great, i’m very impressed with “K”’s lyric!it’s simple [not poetic kind but story kind of lyric] but it has a deep meaning.
i also like the fact that they put hillarious songs like OTOGAME HEART, H*I*R*O*W*A*K*I, WASSHOI in their album and single besides all the beautiful songs.

GREAT BAND!!

peter PHILIPPINES March 7, 2007 at 11:28 pm

in japan, they release maxis(i think thats what its called) first which consists of just a few songs, and then later they will compile the songs from different maxis and singles and release it as an album which contains more songs.

P.S. please correct me if im wrong

emptydb March 7, 2007 at 1:00 am

LOVE THE SOUND OF BUMP OF CHICKEN!!!

BOC ROCKS!!!

Harrison March 6, 2007 at 9:13 pm

Have you ever made a CD with like 13 songs on it instaid of just putting 1 or2 songs on one CD?
P.S. I’m not trying to be rude.

dzione MALAYSIA March 1, 2007 at 4:17 am

even though I have only listened to Bump of Chicken for almost a year or so, I have no doubt developed deep emotions, feelings and appreciation towards their songs.

they are simply amazing , especially Fujiwara Motoo who is the main man of BoC.the melodies are tuneful and fluent . however, I am mainly drawn towards the way Fujiwara-san writes his lyrics. they are full of feelings and emotions , and it’s amazing how he tells stories through songs.

BoC has also showed me and my band (coincidentally, that also consists of 4 members , and all of the same age) that a band can really be successful through hard work and determination.

my favourite BoC songs are
-Special Song (Flame Vein album)
-Tentai Kansoku (Jupiter)
-Dandelion(Jupiter)
-Namida no Furusato (Namida no Furusato single)
-supernova (supernova/karma single)
-karma (supernova/karma single)
-Sailing Day (Yggdrasil)
-Onaji Door no Kuguretara (Yggdrasil)
-Sharin no Uta (Yggdrasil)
-Snow Smile ( Yggdrasil)
-Rem (Yggdrasil)
-Sun (Yggdrasil)

peter PHILIPPINES March 1, 2007 at 1:50 am

bump of chicken… the best.

Harrison February 28, 2007 at 7:06 pm

your music is so cool i just wish i could get the CD but i live in CANADA shocking isnt it but any why…… yeah i really like your music.

so how do i get your CD in canada?

darkie February 21, 2007 at 6:40 am

i love Bump of Chicken since a couple of years ago, when i heard Sharin no Uta. The music’s great and the lyric was superb, it brought tears to my eyes when i read the translation.
i think they are very capable of making both great music and lyrics. i also love their weird side-B songs like Wasshoi and Orusuban. They have intriguing lyrics as well, although i might be wrong in understanding it due to my poor japanese knowledge.

Judy CANADA February 10, 2007 at 3:01 pm

The song Guild? I found it online.
Liked it. These guys were all born the same year as me I found out today after reading their bio.
Do you have any wallpapers of them by any chance?
I wanted to put it up on my myspace page.

Judy

Sora Strife BRUNEI DARUSSALAM January 30, 2007 at 6:47 am

hey i got ply Tales Of The Abyss!!!
i like to hear Karma in it!!!!
the video is like the same as the song!!!
not like other game the movie is not the same as the music!!!
so if anyone got ply Tales Of The Abyss!!!!
contact me!!!
in—>Taurus_god at hotmail dot com!!
contact me !!!!

Luna UNITED STATES January 25, 2007 at 7:26 pm

Hope this helps! I dunno how to translate it though… sorry :(

Namida no furusato – BoC

Sagasanakyane kimi no namida no furusato
Hoho wo tsutatte ochita shizuku ga dokokara kitanoka wo

Dekakerundane soreja koko de miokuruyo
Tsuiteiketara ureshiindakedo hitori de ikanakyane

Ryukku no naka ha karani shitakana arekore tsumetara omoidarou
Sono nureta hoho ni hibiita kotoba soredakede ii
Kikoetadarou

“Aini kitayo aini kitayo Kimi ni aini kitandayo
Kimi no kokoro no uchigawa kara sotogawa no sekai made
Boku wo shitte hoshikute kitandayo”

Mitsukenakyane kieta namida no ashiato
Kare no aruita michi wo sakasamani tadoreba tsuku hazusa

Mitsumenakyane donna samishii sora demo
Kare mo mitekita sora dato shireba hitorijanai hazusa

Nigetekita bundake kyoriga arunosa guchirunayo jigoujitoku darou
Mokutekichiha yoku shitterubashosa wakaranainokai
Joudandarou

“Aini kitayo Aini kitayo kiechau mae ni kitandayo
Kimino namida no furusato kara toozakaru sekai made
Kimi ni shittehoshikute kitandayo”

Touchaku dayo hora oboeterukana itsuka tsuita kizu ga arudarou
Kimi no namida ga umare sodatta furusato ga arudarou

Atarashii shizuku ga koboretayo naoranai kizu wo nurashitayo
Subeteha konotame Kono toki no tame
Totemo nagai tabi wo koete

“Aini kitayo Aini kitayo Kiechau mae ni kitandayo
Kesenai kokoro no uchigawa kara toozakaru sekaimade
Chanto mite hoshikute”

“Aini kitayo Aini kitayo Kimini aini kitandayo
Kimi no namida no furusato kara Kawakikitta sekaimade
Bokuwo shittehoshikute Kimiwo shittehoshikute kitandayo”

Warawanaidene Oremo zutto matteruyo
Wasurenaidene Kaerubasho ga aru kotowo

Raj PHILIPPINES January 15, 2007 at 3:08 am

i wish someone would post the lyrics for the new single Namida no Furusato

Luke fon Fabre January 12, 2007 at 12:44 pm

BUMPOFCHICKEN is my fave band man….i cant not like i like Tales of the Abysses opening.

jhai CANADA January 9, 2007 at 2:51 am

i never imagine that i would be interested in their song. i also bought the game where their song is played in intro. eventhough i didn’t understand the word they said (but thanks to the people who translate the lyrics), it rocks. another music like that, it will be a blast.

laben8 November 28, 2006 at 11:35 am

Bump Of Chicken…. my favorite japanese band…. I had a chance to buy their Album Yggdrasil when I was in Japan two years ago and I just love the way Fujiwara Motoo sings.
Since then, I also bought there Planetarium single and am currently listening to the new single, Namida No Furusato. I have a request, though, if you could translate this song (Namida No Furusato) for me. Thanks…

Here are songs that I recommend from Bump Of Chicken

Yggdrasil
1. Guild
2. Onaji Doa …
3. Sailing Day
4. Sharin No Uta (i like how Fujiwara-san use of words on this song, especially the anecdote about the train ticket)
5. Taiyou (my fave song from this album, the song is so gloomy, that you dont need to know the lyrics and know that this is a sad song altogether)

Planetarium
1. Planetarium
2. Milky Way Railroad … (B-side) just like supernova this is a lengthy song

Namida No Furusato (another lenghty poetic song from BOC) the newest one…

fabiozon November 25, 2006 at 9:10 pm

I would like to know the guitar chords or tabs for karma. If anyone know, please contact me!

empty November 23, 2006 at 4:03 am

I LOVE BOC!!! that’s all i can say…

joey November 14, 2006 at 11:49 pm

yes… i think they are great too..
n thanks for the ‘close-up’ picture of individual member..
i’ve wanted so long to actually ’see’ their face…
just to get over my curiousity…
nway, their songs rock
i love them from the first time i listen to sailing day

yukino UNITED STATES November 11, 2006 at 4:59 pm

Hmmm. You know, I’ve never been that interested in BUMP OF CHICKEN. I had one song but I didn’t think much of it, and I never went to look for other songs by them. But after reading this article, that just may change. supernova has a wonderful, nostalgic, black-and-white photo feel. Good job, Celsius. Keep it up.