Kanon

Age: 26
Birthdate: 9 March 1980
Birthplace: Tokyo Metropolitan Area
Zodiac: Pisces
Blood Type: O
Label: Sony Music Japan International

Kanon is a singer-songwriter born in the Tokyo Metropolitan Area in Japan. Her musical education overseas led her to develop a more western taste in music, which is evidently reflected in her music and composition style. Her debut in July of 2002 marked the beginning of what still is a colorful career and the revelation of an exceptionally unconventional genre in Japan – ‘New Age’.

Wings to Fly~Tsubasa wo Kudasai

Biography

Though born in Japan, Kanon lived much of her childhood away from home. Growing up in a western world led her to pick up many such habits and customs, one of which includes a fluent tongue in English. She began participating in a choir at age 13, in which she acquired a fair amount of interest in classical vocalization as well as vocal technique. Kanon grew to appreciate famous composers such as Handel and Chopin. Little did she know that this timely love of classical music would mature and blossom into what will become the cornerstone of her career as an artist.

She debuted in July 2002 with her first live performance shortly after graduating the College of Music in Queensland, Australia. A year later, Kanon released [Alleluia], a mini-album containing various songs in her own piano self-accompaniment. That same year she was invited to perform live in Russia at the Moscow Baptist Church, the Red-Plaza stage, and at a home for the elderly. She was very popular with the crowds and was deemed a highly regarded Japanese representative. The first year-and-a-half of her career proved to be a fantastic display of vocal prowess, but also, in particular, lacked in original compositions. It wasn’t until February of 2004 when Kanon released the album [Hymn of Grace], this one being the first to include songs written and composed by her. Prior to this release she solely sang covers of songs (usually ones that fall under the category of popular folk songs) indigenous to various regions of the world.

Equipped with a beautiful face and a voice to match, Kanon aspired to reach the pinnacle of her potential, possibly out of a desire to far exceed the positive feedback from listeners all around the world. They say her voice is “one that heals,” which is an accurate description considering her soothing vocals and extensive range. Sony Music Japan International recognized her talents and together they released her first single [KISEKI Song of Love] in October 2004.

The following year was busy, portentous to Kanon’s promotion now that she had her newly signed contract under Sony Music. June of 2005 opened up with her album [Primary Flowers] as well as an invitation to sing Japan’s national anthem during the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany-Asia public showing. She ended the year with a flowering demonstration and a live performance in Tokyo in October. The release of her mini-album [Destiny] was complement to this display.

In 2006, Kanon released three singles [Kokoro], [My Destiny/Serenade], and [Brand New Breeze]. Her December album [Sanctuary] became the accumulation of her 2006 work with a few new additions. Kanon was invited to perform at MIDEM 2007 opening the 2007 year in January as Japan’s representative; this was very much an honor as it was enjoyable for her. Even after the significant privileges and eulogies bestowed unto Kanon, her style still reflects that of her essence – contemporary classical.

Tie-ins are also a part of Kanon’s routine and plays in her overall promotion. Her song “Brand New Breeze” is being used in the opening sequence of the current anime Kiniro no Corda ~primo passo~. In the videogame industry, one of Kanon’s most well-known endeavors is her collaboration with avex trax to aid in the completion of Namco’s RPG Tales of Legendia, in which she sung as lead vocalist in a few of the games’ tracks. In fact, visiting the provided link will direct you to the game’s official site, where a sample of one of those songs can be heard. One song in particular from the [Tales of Legendia Original Soundtrack], “Tori wa Naki, Boku wa Utau” (“The Bird Chirps, I Sing”), has captivated fans across the globe, thus increasing the number of listeners to what it is today.

Tori wa Naki, Boku wa Utau

No one can deny that Kanon is a talented vocalist; what she sometimes lacks in originality she makes up for in vocal power. She does a superb job arranging covers for popular foreign music, and performs even better when she composes her own songs. Perhaps it isn’t apparent enough on the first hearing, but one could distinguish similarities between Kanon’s voice and that of the highly acclaimed artist Utada Hikaru. Kanon’s voice truly is “one that heals” and never ceases to amaze listeners of all tastes and preferences how water-like in quality it proves to be.

1. Kanon’s Sanctuary It's been about a year and a half since Kanon's [Primary Flowers], the first full Sony album which failed to chart. Since this fundamental display in 2005, Kanon completed work on a mini-album and three singles, all of which contains elements that eventually made their way into her most recent album to date [Sanctuary]. Did this second album attempt make up for the dismal performance shown to us through [Primary Flowers]? Well, let's just say it depends on how you look at it.......

{ 3 trackbacks }

Kanon - Sanctuary « .*. 春の雪 | Spring Snow .*.
October 25, 2007 at 7:36 pm
{Artist Spotlight} Kanon « C’est la rêve qui chante…
January 26, 2009 at 2:10 am
春の雪 | Spring Snow » Blog Archive » Kanon – Sanctuary
January 31, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Nathan October 13, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I know I’m kind of late to the boat, but I just found out about her music while watching an anime, now I’m trying to find a place where to buy some of her music.

Any one know a good place to find her albums?

Thanks

Emilie UNITED KINGDOM November 5, 2009 at 6:45 am

Hi,

You can purchase Kanon’s albums on CDJapan, PlayAsia or Amazon.co.jp.

I have created a website about Kanon whcih you are very welcome to visit. French version only available for now but English version will soon be available.

Hope this helps.

lei tsukimori AUSTRALIA October 13, 2008 at 7:03 pm

the songs that she sings are very good…can’t help but fall for her voice and her songs…I am really crazy for her song “MY DESTINY”…..

She definitely has an angelic voice..it is very relaxing and soothing….

ayumi October 12, 2008 at 11:20 am

her song is so melodious….
its very nice and intresting.

Jun Shibuya August 9, 2008 at 7:54 am

Kanon is classical and R&B style, so is funny if Kanon sing in Gothic style.

Kanon voice is so beautiful, I love it ^^

Zaroh UNITED STATES June 19, 2008 at 4:39 pm

She freaking sings STILL DOLL! Off of Vampire Knight!

actually, NO. you’ve mistaken her with (Kanon Wakeshima). the official site for THIS Kanon (the subject of this page): http://www.bgbcom.com/kanon/

Lindsey UNITED STATES June 18, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Oh my god. First off i was on you tube and heard her song (Gloria) on a slideshow so decided to go and get it off of frost wire and guess what i found out? She freaking sings STILL DOLL! Off of Vampire Knight! I was so shocked! She is amazing I love that song! Its the end credit song! I never ever ever watch the credtis but i do in VK because of her song! She has a beautiful voice! Wow wow wow (still shocked)

pauline afroilan AUSTRALIA May 22, 2008 at 1:31 am

owh miss kanon you are great……i’m always watching la corda d’oro primo passo….you have a voice of an angel….

Haru no Yukino UNITED STATES September 14, 2007 at 1:00 pm

without a doubt, an AMAZING singer & artist! Kanon is like Celine Dion, Sarah Brightman, OLIVIA, & Hitomi Shimatani ALL-IN-ONE. i think she’s THE artist i’ve been waiting for all this time…it’s also very hard to find Japanese singers who perform Christian songs, and her heavy emphasis on the classical genre along with her beautiful, angelic vocals is what really sold me. Kanon is definitely a keeper. (gosh, i don’t think i’ve ever been this adamant on buying all of an artist’s cd’s before! ^^)

BIG THANKS to Celsius005 for writing such great reviews. also, thanks to Channel-Ai for uploading Kanon’s songs on the radio! i’m hooked to all her songs.

i was never a big fan of New Age, but i guess my musical taste has changed over the years… *shrugs* lol

mei July 26, 2007 at 10:24 pm

I m hooked to Kanon since the first time I heard ”My Destiny” in an anime titled Angel Heart.. She indeed has a brilliant voice… and her songs is really soothing… I love it ^_^

Celsius005 UNITED STATES April 10, 2007 at 4:09 pm

Hello, Soulness! I’m absolutely thrilled to know that Kanon is touching hearts all over the world, and reading your reply just tells me how enthusiastic people people are. It’s great that you’re recommending her music to your country’s radio stations as well. Thank you very much for a most favorable reply!

Soulness PORTUGAL April 10, 2007 at 12:37 pm

Greetings from Portugal.

I got hooked to Kanon’s music when i saw an anime from 2006, Angel Heart.
It called my attention when Gloria started playing in the background.
Her voice hooked me so much that i made everything i could to get info on her, till i bumped into this thread created by Celsius005. I thought to myself “finally! some info that i can actually understand! (english! ^^ )”.
I downloaded some of your samples and i’m loving them!
One of the best voices i’ve heard in a long time.
In the comment left by Rinoa, i agree with one thing: she would be extremely big in Europe with the right promotion.
As i’m writing this comment, i’m also trying to mail some of the biggest radios here in Portugal to see reactions on what they have to say about such an artist. And, who knows? Maybe one of them will give her an hand… ;)

Kassandra April 5, 2007 at 2:25 am

I’m so glad I was finally able to find out a bit of her history. She is amazing! I think her song “Power” is one of the most heartfelt song I’ve heard in a long time. It startled me at first to hear a voice as powerful as her’s singing the opening to an anime. I don’t think I would have ever heard her if I hadn’t stumbled upon the anime. It is ashame that she isn’t as known as other artists, she is one of the most talented artists I’ve heard. Thank you for the article!

Celsius005 UNITED STATES April 4, 2007 at 12:29 am

Indeed, Kanon’s [Sanctuary] is out for purchase now since it was released in December of last year. I will get started on writing a review for it as soon as possible, but until then perhaps I can interest you in a [Primary Flowers] review? This too is one of Kanon’s full albums and it was released in July of 2005.

Mizuzuiki April 4, 2007 at 12:08 am

Hmm, the reason why i brought this up was because i notice many good singers not doing as well as expected as seen in the online community. Its very sad to see your favourite singers suddenly disappearing due to bad sales and so on while in the Online community they are very famous.

I’m not sure if Onitsuka Chihiro can be a good example, because she suddenly disappeared. Well, i don’t get much news of J-pop artist in my country. x_X If such things were to continue even Kanon herself may be faced with a double-edge sword.

Anyway, I was wondering, whether Kanon promoted her First album or was she like rurutia when she first came out? I went to online forums to search for topics regarding her first album, they are usually unheard off…(sad to say despite having such wonderful voice).

Most would have heard her Brand New Breeze but none have heard the others T_T. Another question, has her Sanctuary been released? I’m intending to get them through my friends who will help me pay online =)

Lastly, will there be a review/details of Kanon’s new album soon, if its out x_X. Heh, i would like to learn more about the album before i purchased them =)(though i do not mind paying for it straight).

I wonder if its too much to ask…x_X a short review/details would be fine too heh.

Rinoa April 3, 2007 at 4:37 pm

I’m a little confused by the latest comment, even if it is slightly offtopic. Well why should your parents scold you for purchasing something like an album? I usually don’t mind telling my parents anyhow because it’s not like I’m doing something bad. But then I imagine everyone has their own case.

Personally I wouldn’t blame record labels since they usually just ship the records to stores and that’s the end of the story for them. In any way, there are many other ways to purchase releases just in case you wouldn’t want your parents to know. Credit cards are only the most convenient option around but there are so many other options. Look around the biggest online shopping sites and research over the payment methods. I highly suggest Yesasia and CDJapan. If you really want to support your favourite artists you can.

To be frank I’ve observed how many people use downloads because they are not willing to shell any money and support their favourite artists. And then they start complaining because their favourite artist has a low budget and their record label is not promoting them. Obviously they cannot if fans would go and download everything online and never spend a penny. I’m not blaming anyone here, both Japanese and Westerners do this to the point that sales have seriously collapsed.

I don’t expect anyone to purchase everything from x artist but purchasing something once in a while would help a little to support your favourite artist/s and would also serve to thank these artist/s for all the work they do to us. It’s fair enough and better sales would mean the record labels would be able to invest more budget. This would mean more quality material and promotion. In the end it’s a system where everyone does benefit in the end.

I suppose it depends on the people. For some people downloading is a way to sample music and then purchase it. Others just do it because it’s an easy way to get music and not pay anything at all. Unfortunately this is rarely balanced since I’ve noticed how various forums are infested with leechers who wouldn’t dream of buying a single release in their life.

Mizuzuiki April 3, 2007 at 3:28 pm

Actually, after giving some thought – base on reasoning that Japanese are more creative (from their technology…etc), maybe that’s why i hear more variety then in Western songs. I’m not sure if it is sound though.

I do agree that the western culture exposure may have influenced their songs…Afterall, Utada Hikaru started with Cubic U.

Another issue which i would like to bring up is, does anyone find online payment an issue? I see many downloading sites giving links to online CD shops but how often do people visit them even when they like the singer, assuming their position is like mine.

I understand its practical to use credit cards to pay for online stuff…but they should accomodate for young people who don’t own one and would like to pay in cash without letting their parents know…x_X.

Downloading of songs is a major problem and that i know. However, companies should take into account people who really want to buy the CDs but can’t find ways to do so unless getting scolded by parents. Hence, they should make buying of songs easier for the young as more often then not its the teenages that are caught downloading. Many teenages don’t own a credit card and spending on Cds in the eyes of parents is wasting of money…(sad to say T_T).

I myself hate downloading because downloading is troublesome…its very hard to find the whole album itself or specific songs(since they are rare). If its even available i also face problems downloading…due to my slow internet.x_X

I think downloading to many is the last resort most people use, although there are some exceptions (the super pirates)

Not sure if anyone can agree with that heh, its again subjected to my view…x_X

Celsius005 UNITED STATES April 3, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Hi Mizuzuiki! Indeed, Kanon does compose all her songs but I guess most tend to overlook that since a good portion of her songs are arrangements of classical pieces or covers of popular songs (such as SHINE and Wings to Fly). “Tori wa Naki, Boku wa Utau” is an exception because it was composed by Go Shiina who actually created all the songs in the Tales of Legendia OST, and Kanon offered to collaborate with avex to take part in some of them.

Haha I see that everyone disagrees with my comment about Kanon and Utada Hikaru having distinguished similarities. This is a bit left-field, but I always thought the way they sing is very similar. Then again, they both spent some time growing up in Western culture so there might be some outrageous correlation there. XD

Well if they don’t sell her album in your country you can always just order it online via yesasia. =P And you’re not alone when you say that Japanese songs are great because it’s very true! I don’t listen to modern English music anymore and I sometimes wonder if it’s a result of being too influenced by my own Japanese culture.

Mizuzuiki April 3, 2007 at 8:39 am

I really liked her voice!!! The moment i heard the song Brand New Breeze in the opening of the anime, i knew i would fall for her songs. Her voice is really soothing and gentle. I happen to be a big Utada Hikaru fan and i don’t think there are much similarities between them in terms of songs they sings and voice…. However, i wonder if she composes her songs herself. If so, i would say she is fantastic like Hikki =)
I seriously hope that they will sell her album in my country x_X which i seriously doubt they will. If not i have to get it through illegal means…

I think singers that are as good as them (Utada Hikaru and Kanon) would be Ayaka Hirahara,Kokia,Rurutia and Onitsuka Chihiro.They are pretty good singers too heh. Well that’s my personal view.

One more thing to add, i love Japanese songs they are of more variety. Although i’m aware that English songs can have as much variety japanese songs but its really hard to find such songs in English…Not sure if others have the same view as me… Or am i being too influenced by my Asian culture…x_X

Erika UNITED STATES March 15, 2007 at 7:26 pm

She has the voice of an angel…not even the most advanced singers in our conservatory have voices that pure.

Kikaru UNITED STATES February 23, 2007 at 12:36 am

She sounds like one of the sopranos in the advance choir in my school.

Very professional and well-trained.

Celsius005 UNITED STATES February 19, 2007 at 6:40 pm

Hello, Herald. I’m glad to hear that you’ve found an interest in Kanon! Indeed, being the case that she’s not exactly mainstream, her music is not available everywhere like most popular artists. That song is found in Kanon’s album [Primary Flowers], which is sold online via . Hopefully I will get an article published reviewing this album soon, which will provide the appropriate links (unless, of course, you go ahead and purchase before then).

Herald February 17, 2007 at 5:29 pm

The moment I heard wings to fly~tsubasa wo kudasai, I felt in love with it. It is unique and Kanon’s voice did deliver the song beautifully. But I can’t seem to find it online, the only ones I found at Sony music I do not know how to buy it because I can’t really read Japanese. May I know where can I find this song and thanks!

Rinoa February 14, 2007 at 11:14 am

When I’ve decided to listen to the samples you provided I was stunned. Actually beyond stunned. I never expected something like this from a Japanese artist. I suppose it was because she lived out of Japan during her childhood that she has this unique style. Kanon has heavenly vocals. I do believe her vocals surpass any of the Japanese artists I’ve heard. From what you’ve described, she’s a sort of icon for Japan. Personally I don’t see any similarities to Utada’s vocals, since Utada’s are more on the emotional and less angelic. I see a slight similarity to OLIVIA’s vocals, though Kanon’s vocals are by far so much more superior.

Through my father’s influence I’ve grown to appreciate New Age and I was delighted to listen to something of this sort in Japanese. It’s odd that she doesn’t seem to have a large fanbase in the west from the J-Pop sphere. I’m extremely happy that you have written about this fantastic artist and consequently I’ve discovered a new artist. Maybe you should also create a thread at Ch-Ai too. I am sure that if more people discover this artist, they’d love her. I hope that I shall read more articles related to Kanon since I’m literally hooked on this artist and her stunning vocals.