Forum Index  »  Asian Music  »  The Official Olivia Lufkin Thread
Page 3 of 11     Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11  Next

The Official Olivia Lufkin Thread

j-kitty
Posted: Jun 05, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
甘えんぼ 甘えんぼ
I've been a fan of Olivia's since "Dear Angel," which was back in the day. Always loved her voice. This new song's good. I'm glad it's not as gothy as her other semi-recent stuff has been. I mean, I like it, but goth/metal/whatever isn't really my thing. I prefer her old stuff, and "A Little Pain" sounds a bit like her old stuff, so I'm very happy about it. I want to buy the single.

I'm also a big fan of Caroline. She's fantastic. I think I might like Caroline just a bit more than Olivia, mainly because I like every Caroline song I've heard, but not every single Olivia song.

They're both awesome, though, so everyone should check them out. Giggle

spirus
Posted: Jun 06, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote
フレンジャー フレンジャー
I know what you mean j-kitty, herself said that she realised she was seeing life in a very dark and obscure way and that was reflected in many of her songs. The hiatus was to rearrange her life.

Rinoa
Posted: Jun 07, 2006 4:49 am Reply with quote
クムリウタ クムリウタ
From what I've read Olivia felt as if she was an idol without any creative input to her releases. She was really young when she started singing and got into a group at the age of 16 so you can imagine that she was quite immature at that age. In her interview she mentions how an idol just has to do what she's told and sell as much as possible.

Olivia is no longer an idol since she has a lot of creative input in her songs however at the era where she started releasing mini albums and The Lost Lolli, she mentioned how she was finding a lot of faults and she got depressed. Also her sales started declining and Olivia felt that her fans were not understanding how she felt. This probably did indeed reflect her music since it's so dark. Olivia thus decided to go on an unofficial hiatus to sort out her life. She went to LA, helped her sister Caroline with her career and later on she returned to Tokyo.

Now that she's back she seems much happier. I'm glad that she has gotten this opportunity to sing for NANA because it will hopefully get people to notice her. Her music still has a gothic touch but it's not to the level of being dark and depressing. I do hope Olivia keeps releasing material this good and keep an eye out for her mini album in October.

tejung
Posted: Jun 07, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
大好きだよ。 大好きだよ。
isn't she the girl singing "A Little Pain" for NANA anime series?
i love her voice and new single!!

Rinoa
Posted: Aug 03, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
クムリウタ クムリウタ
Olivia performed live recently at the NANA Special Street Live. Did anyone apart from me see it? I really loved Olivia's costume and her performance was excellent.

eyn
Posted: Aug 08, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
羽ありたまご 羽ありたまご
I watched that street live as well, OLIVIA's awesome, but I guess she's still a little shy, especially during the talk part between "a little pain" and "SpidERSpins". Her voice is perfect throughout the performance, but I guess her first song is a little too mellow for an outdoor event like this. For example, Anna Tsuchiya's "rose" is a perfect song for such event, but with that said I'm not a fan of hers, don't really like how she's smoking and stuff, but maybe it fits her rock image better. No

For those who haven't listen to "a little pain" yet or doesn't know much about OLIVIA's music, feel free to check out Rinoa's awesome review about her "a little pain" single, complete with music video streamable from Channel-Ai server. Check out the comments too since there's some insightful comments there discussing about OLIVIA's music style.

Rinoa
Posted: Sep 03, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
クムリウタ クムリウタ
OLIVIA will have a new album on November 15!
They also reported that it comes in both CD+DVD and CD only versions.

Credit: Sephiroth_FF @ JPM

Rokit
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
大好きだよ。 大好きだよ。
eyn wrote:
I watched that street live as well, OLIVIA's awesome, but I guess she's still a little shy, especially during the talk part between "a little pain" and "SpidERSpins". Her voice is perfect throughout the performance, but I guess her first song is a little too mellow for an outdoor event like this. For example, Anna Tsuchiya's "rose" is a perfect song for such event, but with that said I'm not a fan of hers, don't really like how she's smoking and stuff, but maybe it fits her rock image better. No

I noticed that too. She said "watashi Olivia desu" i believe, isn't that incorrect? She sounded a bit annoying saying all those english words. Her first performance of a little pain was great, tho you noticed that the endings of choruses were not qued correctly. She has a backup vocal to help her. No

I was excited to see her perform "SpidERSpins" because i really enjoyed that song, ever since it released. I was upset with the way she sang a few sentences wierd. Was she out of breath or what. Didn't sound like the original. I also noticed the crowd wasn't too itnerested into her as they were with Anna. Anna's song was much better then OLIVIA"s song, i have to agree. I dont' really like OLIVIA's work with NANA.

Rinoa
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
クムリウタ クムリウタ
Well she's been out of practise for quite a while. During her hiatus she's been living in USA and not singing at all so she probably has to catch up again to the Japanese scene. Overall I doubt she can regain her fanbase so fast because she's been away for so long and such but I'm glad she's still releasing material. In the end it's all that matters.

Rokit
Posted: Sep 29, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
大好きだよ。 大好きだよ。
Her new song "Wish" sounds really cool. So much better then "a little pain." I though that song was so boring. This new song exploits her more rock talent. Olivia does great ballads, for instace "Space Halo." You have to liste to that song.

OLIVIA - Wish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBrjNuzlkqg

Rinoa
Posted: Sep 29, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
クムリウタ クムリウタ
Yes this single is definately going to be an impressive one. Hopefully it will manage to sell even better than her previous single. I'm really looking forward to get my copy since I'm really interested in the artwork involved.

eyn
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
羽ありたまご 羽ありたまご
I uploaded OLIVIA's latest single, "Wish/Starless Night", it's an amazing single and if you like her older stuff you'll definitely love this! It's less pop, unlike "a little pain", but what it has instead is lots of depth and amazing sound. Just listen to this, you won't regret it!

1. Wish
  2. Starless Night
  3. Close your eyes

Download (29.5mb .zip - scans included, songs are properly tagged)

Every single song in this single is unique and stand out on its own, I wouldn't be surprised if they promote this single as triple A-side, really. I think Rinoa will probably do a detailed review of this single just like how she did "a little pain" earlier. She always have her own unique way of interpreting the songs and bring out details that most people won't realize. Nod

kakumei
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
金魚花火 金魚花火
thank you so much eyn! I loved the samples I heard, but I haven't picked up the single yet.

I've been an OLIVIA fan since D&D Love I should participate in this thread more Crying

rayn
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
桃ノ花ビラ 桃ノ花ビラ
I love Wish. Starless Night is growing on me slowly. I don't really like Close your eyes but maybe soon I'll start to like it.

Rokit
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
大好きだよ。 大好きだよ。
I purchased this single + DVD yesterday. ^^ I never bought an Olivia album or single, so this will be my first. The songs on this single are really nice.

Page 3 of 11     Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11  Next